• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you enjoyed your new rifle, but please just swab the barrel with a damp patch, using a brush usually leads to trouble depending on what type your using.
Even a brass brush? Never known those to cause any issues in any of my firearms, and that's what came with the kit I got for this. Good to know though, I'll take that into consideration and look into it, blackpowder seems like such a different world in so many ways.

Even a brass brush? Never known those to cause any issues in any of my firearms, and that's what came with the kit I got for this. Good to know though, I'll take that into consideration and look into it, blackpowder seems like such a different world in so many ways.

Yes, even a brass one. The fouling from BP literally rinses off with plain water, it is not difficult to wipe out of the barrel once damp. One problem with the brushes is you have to reverse them in the bore and the first time you do that it sticks at the breech. Once you crush the bristles by forcing the brush to reverse it doesn't make a very good brush anymore, and it doesn't distribute moisture like a damp patch on a jag does.

Yes, even a brass one. The fouling from BP literally rinses off with plain water, it is not difficult to wipe out of the barrel once damp. One problem with the brushes is you have to reverse them in the bore and the first time you do that it sticks at the breech. Once you crush the bristles by forcing the brush to reverse it doesn't make a very good brush anymore, and it doesn't distribute moisture like a damp patch on a jag does.
Good to know! Appreciate the info!

Rang more steel at the range today. My new year resolution last year was to have less 2023 and more 1823, so now it's less 2024 and more 1822...have to go backwards each year to keep things in perspective.
I guess really what I want to do in 2024 is find more ways to slow life down. Enjoy more sunrises & sunsets, and be outdoors more than indoors.

Nitrating curling papers. I think I'm finally getting the hang of keeping them (mostly) flat while transferring them to the drying screen. As you can see, I only lost three that were irretrievably crumpled:
IMG_4145.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Numlok! When we shoot a competition run here at the local club, we shoot three runs of thirteen shots - that's 39 in total, that makes the Tryon 54 real dirty! What most of us do is swab between each shot with good old store-bought Windex. Place the Windex in a smaller spritzer bottle for convenience, spray a cleaning patch with a small amount and swab, once down only, then out, no back-and-forth jiggyness (that's a new word! :)). Also, good advice I've received for swabbing, mark your range rod so you stop the swab just short of the load column. That way you won't be pushing crud into the places that lets your gun go boom! For patches, saving money here, we buy our flannelette from the roll at our local Spotlight Store and cut it into appropriate squares as per caliber requirements. Way cheaper than gun shop products.

Oh, and prior to going home at the end of the shoot, run a sopping patch of Windex right down the bore for a thorough swab; this helps make the cleaning regime at home rather easy, as most of the cud has been taken out when soft.

Kind regards, Pete

Hi Numlok! When we shoot a competition run here at the local club, we shoot three runs of thirteen shots - that's 39 in total, that makes the Tryon 54 real dirty! What most of us do is swab between each shot with good old store-bought Windex. Place the Windex in a smaller spritzer bottle for convenience, spray a cleaning patch with a small amount and swab, once down only, then out, no back-and-forth jiggyness (that's a new word! :)). Also, good advice I've received for swabbing, mark your range rod so you stop the swab just short of the load column. That way you won't be pushing crud into the places that lets your gun go boom! For patches, saving money here, we buy our flannelette from the roll at our local Spotlight Store and cut it into appropriate squares as per caliber requirements. Way cheaper than gun shop products.

Oh, and prior to going home at the end of the shoot, run a sopping patch of Windex right down the bore for a thorough swab; this helps make the cleaning regime at home rather easy, as most of the cud has been taken out when soft.

Kind regards, Pete

When you say "between each shot", do you mean literally between each individual discharge? Or between each set of 13 shots? If it's between each individual shot, holy cow, that's some thoroughness! Kudos for having that sort of patience!

Great tip on the Windex though, that stuff does like to evaporate pretty quick, and I'd imagine even quicker in a warm barrel!

Looks like we don't have Spotlight here in the states, but I know of some fabric stores I could check out!

Thanks for the tips!

Every shot. It's madness. Some guns seem to require it, at least the way their owners are feeding them. Match shooters get the utmost consistency that way.

When I go to the range, I go to shoot, not to clean. My loading technique, powder choice, and patch lubes are geared toward never having to wipe and never having to pick the flash hole.

When you say "between each shot", do you mean literally between each individual discharge? Or between each set of 13 shots? If it's between each individual shot, holy cow, that's some thoroughness! Kudos for having that sort of patience!

Great tip on the Windex though, that stuff does like to evaporate pretty quick, and I'd imagine even quicker in a warm barrel!

Looks like we don't have Spotlight here in the states, but I know of some fabric stores I could check out!

Thanks for the tips!
You are very welcome, Numlok. I'm only passing along what works for me, and all of this I learnt from others, so really no credit to me :).

Yep. Every shot. Fire. Swab. Powder. Spit patched ball. Cap. Fire. Swab. Powder, and so on ...

This is an easy cycle in competition, allowing 13 consistent shots to be delivered to the target in 30 minutes, best ten counting for the final score. Mind, all loads are taken from pre-measured charges in vials, no measuring at the line.

When hunting, most encounters only require one shot, so no need to swab in the field.

Pete

Twist the rod and bristles and slide it out gently don’t just yank it out. Have my brushes from 1960s. Must admit I keep borrowing my 450-400 rod and brush , it’s pretty well ruined by now, I bough a decent eBay bronze brush a week ago only £8 so what’s the big deal. Got some rusty bores to clean up
Love this forum and you guys, may your God be with you in the new year
Happy new year from London

Attachments

• 92FFD63E-2E65-4671-8350-13ADAC142094.jpeg
    92FFD63E-2E65-4671-8350-13ADAC142094.jpeg
    856.7 KB · Views: 0

Thanks for the tips!
Some people swab between shots.
Some never swab between shots, find out which works best for you.

For off hand and woods walks I am one of those never swab guys, after 40 years I can say it works.

Back