• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have started smoothing out the milling marks on my Colerain barrel. 1st thing i learned after an hour of work on 1 foot of top flat. Is my sand paper is too fine at 320 to take it down easily. Oh yeah is a .40 cal .prb barrel.
I have that same project down the road. The Coleraine barrel is much rougher than expected.

6719C9C0-F3F2-4AF0-86B7-9EC203B340CE.jpeg
Made a 70 grain copper powder measure

I bid in an auction on a muzzleloader with a Josh Golcher back action lock. Based on my research, he made locks and only locks, from 1810 to 1860 and shipped them around the country to gunsmiths. (His sons got into the entire gun making business) Bid low knowing these auctions sometimes run away. To my surprise, I won it! Don’t even know the caliber, but I have a 50 cal smoothbore with a Golcher lock and have always admired the workmanship he achieved in the early 1800’s. Once received, I’ll post some photos. And yes, I already told the Mrs. about it.

This was a couple days ago but life has been busy! Shot the June postal target with my boys and a nephew. Shot the June one because it used less printer ink than the July one! Last target is mine. 45 cal flintlock free hand at 25 yards. First target is my sons, 50 cal percussion Kentucky of shooting sticks at 25 yards. Middle pic is my nephew shooting my flintlock. His first time with a flintlock.

Attachments

• IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4600.jpeg
    IMG_4600.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4603.jpeg
    IMG_4603.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I’ll see if I can use your information to get it back in place. I’ll get up in my cave later today to see if I can get it back in place.
When you reattach the spring, (hopefully you found the screw) only tighten it down enough to get the set trigger to set at the tension you find comfortable. If you over tighten the spring the set trigger won't set. Im at home and don't have a trigger assembly here, but I'm pretty sure there's a small screw on the outside of the assembly toward the set trigger. You can fine tune the set trigger with small adjustments, start with the screw making no contact on the spring as you tighten the main srcrew, then make the final adjustments with the small one. All this is separate and has no affect on the external small screw that's forward behind the front trigger, the forward screw is for adjusting the front trigger break. If you run into any problems I can walk to my Son's house and look at his SMR trigger group. Your probably already familiar with most of what I explained.

EDIT!!!!!

Had a feeling I was steering you wrong, so we took the trigger assembly out of my Son’s rifle and I took some photos. There is no fine adjustment screw for the set trigger spring on the SMR lock, so just tighten the rear screw to the desired feel. I have several different trigger groups from different manufacturers and I get confused!

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2266.jpeg
    IMG_2266.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2267.jpeg
    IMG_2267.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Today I altered the flap and strap on my shot pouch in preparation for a reenactment in SC tomorrow. Will make blank cartridges out of my students' old homework here in a bit. Also handled an antique Kennedy longrifle (NC Bear Creek School), installed the reenactment required flash guard on my fusil, and found a TC Renegade wedge key I'd been turning the house over looking for (the blasted thing was in my wife's car from where I'd took the gun apart after buying it), and organized my gun toolbox (which lives in the tent at events.)

Attachments

• 20230715_205412.jpg
    20230715_205412.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Not sure this actually counts… I drove within shouting distance of the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi for the 3rd time this summer - have not yet been able to schedule time to stop, 3 more tries ahead of me yet this summer…
I’ve been to the shop several times but not in the last several years.
I would like to make it up their at some point!!

ARG!!! I am close to going crazy. I am still working on the Woodsrunner. Today while trying to assemble the gun, I managed to have two pins blow out some wood. I can fix it, but still! Then I also noticed that somehow, I missed a spot by the sideplate mortise and had not had Aqua Fortis on it, but I did have finish. Luckily for me, it did not seep down far. A quick hit with sandpaper, then AF and a heat gun saved the day.
Finally, I am having problems with the pins themselves. They seem to have been really hardened. I have to use a Dremel Cut-off disc to cut them and it takes a while, even with the Dremel. I still have to shorten a couple pins, cut a trigger pin, and then I will be close to being done - for now.
I polished the muzzle cap to get the tool marks off it and it is installed, the barrel still needs sights, but I got Brass Black on it. In the future, I plan to do minor engraving on the sideplate, decorate the lock, barrel screws and hammer screw, and blacken the lock plate. However, that will be another day as I will have to take the lock apart to do that. At this point, I really want to get the gun up and running.

The Doc is out and tired now. 😴

ARG!!! I am close to going crazy. I am still working on the Woodsrunner. Today while trying to assemble the gun, I managed to have two pins blow out some wood. I can fix it, but still! Then I also noticed that somehow, I missed a spot by the sideplate mortise and had not had Aqua Fortis on it, but I did have finish. Luckily for me, it did not seep down far. A quick hit with sandpaper, then AF and a heat gun saved the day.
Finally, I am having problems with the pins themselves. They seem to have been really hardened. I have to use a Dremel Cut-off disc to cut them and it takes a while, even with the Dremel. I still have to shorten a couple pins, cut a trigger pin, and then I will be close to being done - for now.
I polished the muzzle cap to get the tool marks off it and it is installed, the barrel still needs sights, but I got Brass Black on it. In the future, I plan to do minor engraving on the sideplate, decorate the lock, barrel screws and hammer screw, and blacken the lock plate. However, that will be another day as I will have to take the lock apart to do that. At this point, I really want to get the gun up and running.

The Doc is out and tired now. 😴
After final sanding and applying your finish you need to chase all your pin holes with a 1/16" bit preferably held in a 1/4" drill chuck that you can turn with your fingers. If you don't the debris will set up and cause the blow outs.

Went to the range and fired 8 full cylinders of .36 cal out of my 1851 Navy, about cylinder 7 I found the caps weren't fitting on the nipples correctly due to powder fouling on the nipples, got the toothbrush out cleaned the nipples and carried on with cylinder 7 and cylinder 8. No problems after the toothbrush cleaning. Would have stayed for cylinders 9 and 10 but the mosquitoes and black flies are like birds there.

I took the Walker out to the range yesterday where it fired off 24 rounds. I only shot three of them. Recruiting BP shooters. The gun behaved very well aside from the usual having to remove some spent caps from between the recoil shield and cylinder and the new shooters were surprisingly accurate. It was a windless day so a lot of people got smoked...oh well. Life at a gun range!

Back