• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What mistakes have you noticed in movies/tv shows that happen in the BP era like Daniel Boone, Patriot etc?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from Wikipedia's description of the plot of the movie.

" The caravan of settlers in their covered wagons would follow Wellmore's ox-drawn train of Conestoga wagons, as the first major group of settlers to move west on the Oregon Trail"

I don't think John Wayne shot an Indian with a ramrod in this movie.
Clark Gable shot Ricardo Montalban with his ram rod in the movie "Across the wide Missouri"

Anyone ever watch 'Hawkeye' from the early 1990's? Had Lee Horsley and Lynda Carter. Based of course on the Cooper series of stories. Well known Indian actor Rodney A Grant is Chingachgook.
It was only on for one full season back then and I dont recall watching it, but I really enjoy it now, cornball though it is at times, pretty entertaining and high rewatch value.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108798/
You can buy the series on disk

This is from Wikipedia's description of the plot of the movie.

" The caravan of settlers in their covered wagons would follow Wellmore's ox-drawn train of Conestoga wagons, as the first major group of settlers to move west on the Oregon Trail"

I don't think John Wayne shot an Indian with a ramrod in this movie.
In the movie "Allegheny Uprising", John Wayne shot a renegade white man with his ramrod. However, in one of the scenes there is an accurate depiction of someone loading a muzzleloading rifle and shooting it.

And in the movie Allegheny Uprising, during the trial scene, Claire Trevor is asked to load the rifle for a shot demonstration. She loads by placing the ball in her hand and pouring powder over the ball. Very deftly I might add. Would be an excellent video tutorial on how to measure powder.

One pet peeve I have is in most movies or shows using muzzleloaders, the user, pretty much drops his ball downbore, then uses his ramrod to briskly push the ball down to seat it, several times very quickly and its obvious there is Zero pressure being placed on anything.
The action shown is more akin to cleaning the bore than loading it. Drives me nuts!

I happened in on the old Waxworks movie from 1988. In a Marquis de Sade confrontation scene the hero had a 45-70 trapdoor conversion pistol that looked like a flintlock.

Hollywood special effects houses converted hundreds of old 45-70 trapdoors to look like flintlocks or percussion guns many years ago.

Actually I wouldn’t mind owning a 45-70 trapdoor rifle converted into a pistol. I think that would be an awesome gun to own even if it is going to still kick like a mule. Not a blank only firing one but one that shoots the good stuff.

They sure flinch a lot when they shoot their trapdoor Springfield's during Rev. War battles and at the Alamo !! LOL ! :D

Attachments

• images (7).jpeg
    images (7).jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 0
  • images (6).jpeg
    images (6).jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
I like how in the TV series Bonanza, they would ride back and forth from the Ponderosa to Virginia City several times a day. They had some very fast horses.

I watched the old "MacKennas Gold" move for the first time a few weeks ago, they were galloping Horses throughout it, not a drop of lather sweat on any of them; other than Gregory Peck in the lead role the rest of them were crappy actors, Mr Peck must have been seriously embarrassed in his role.

One of the very best, historically correct, no mistakes i could find, is Black Robe. If never seen check it out. Take place in about 1615 - 1620. Only guns shown are matchlocks.
Although, in one scene th guy with the matchlock manages to light his slow match with a couple of strikes of the flint. You have to be good to do that!

Although, in one scene th guy with the matchlock manages to light his slow match with a couple of strikes of the flint. You have to be good to do that!
That would be Daniel, i will have to check out that scene.
Now that i think about it, they probably had just a piece of flint and steel to use as a fire starter. I think matchlocks had powder impregnated in the wick, so possibly using flint and steel to get the ‘match’ glowing could be historically accurate.

Last edited:
That would be Daniel, i will have to check out that scene.
Now that i think about it, they probably had just a piece of flint and steel to use as a fire starter. I think matchlocks had powder impregnated in the wick, so possibly using flint and steel to get the ‘match’ glowing could be historically accurate.
I liked that movie! The part when the priest was eating all that fresh venison and a couple of the Injens were pointing at him and the next scene he was pooping 💩 over the side of the canoe with diarrhea was hilarious.

Latest posts

Back