• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Kind of Wood is This?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucktales

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea?
Closest match I found is Leopard wood. Slightly heavy wood and pretty dense grain.(almost as heavy as some ironwood I had)
Was thinking of making a couple of ball blocks out of it. Pretty cool looking whatever it is.

IMG_6539.jpg

It's a tropical wood - commonly called Lace wood, i believe. Have to Google it for place of origin, though!

I just looked at some lacewood and I saw a few dead ringers.
The Leopard wood from Brazil looks close but the Lace looks closer. :haha:

It sure is a different kind of wood. Ed showed it to me last week. Would make a unique ball board for sure. :thumbsup:

Caution sanding & grinding exotic woods. They look harmless but the dust from some of them is very toxic... :shake:

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:
Lacewood and leopard woods are similar and are mistaken for each other.
Further reading says that dust may cause skin and lung irritations in some.

One of the exotic wood stores in my area call it "FISHTAIL OAK". I have some of the wood in the shop, that looks just like yours. LACEWOOD is also in the Oak family.
Rick

That looks like lacewood to me. I've used the stuff and really like it. It carves nicely and takes an incredible polish...the grain looks three-dimensional.

bucktales said:
Anyone have an idea?
Closest match I found is Leopard wood. Slightly heavy wood and pretty dense grain.(almost as heavy as some ironwood I had)
Was thinking of making a couple of ball blocks out of it. Pretty cool looking whatever it is.

IMG_6539.jpg

it is Australian Silkey Oak. some call it lace wood.
bernie :thumbsup:

Back