• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What have I got here? (pic)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garandman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Trying to figger out what the top flintlock rifle is...

289ikwh.jpg

The only markings are "SPAIN" and a serial number and "Black Powder Only" above "JUKAR."

It was given to me by my father-in-law.

A .451 ball is way too large, so I'm not really sure of the caliber. I'm thinking maybe .40 ??

Any help appreciated.

You have a Jukar Kentucky Rifle. Other members have said the bore is closer to a .44. So, .433 balls seem to be the best fit for it.

That is a CVA Kentucky Rifle from the mid 70's I built a bunch of them. The barrel is from Spain Jukar. They are not the best quality but are very accurate .45 caliber. I shot 65 grains of 3F, a .440 ball with a .015 patch. You will be amazed at their accuracy. One hole at 25 yds if you do your part. The lock is a copy of the Maslin style. You can get a direct after market replacement lock of better quality from Track of the Wolf. Those guns sold for $69 dollars for a kit. They were $99 finished. They came in both flint and percussion. They made a companion pistol as well. I still have a percussion rifle and pistol I built in .45. I sold all the flintlocks. Be sure to use a real flint and not the saw cut aggregate. The aggregate does not spark as well. They again are not top shelf but they will shoot along the best of them.

I agree. The top one is a CVA Kentucky. The caliber should be marked on the barrel. If it says .45 then use a .440 diameter ball patched with some tight weave cotton that is around .015-.018 thick.
Because it is a flintlock it will work best with real black powder. None of the synthetic powders work well. Using them, if your lucky it will fire about once for every 3 pan primes.

The long barreled pistol is an Italian dream called a Buffalo Hunter or something like that.
It is a .44 caliber pistol based on a Remington New Model Army.

The third down is a brass framed Remington New Model Army "1858". I can't tell for sure but it looks like it could either be a .36 or a .44 caliber.

The forth one down is another Italian invention based on the Remington New Army "1858" in .44 caliber. I believe it was marketed as a Sheriffs gun.

The bottom one looks like one of the recently made CVA rifles that sold for around $100.
It might be in .50 caliber.
These are good guns to start with, their main fault being their light weight.
They can be quite accurate shooting a patched roundball.

Here again, if your shooting a patched roundball, the ball size should be .005 to .010 smaller than the bore to provide space for he cloth patch.

The cap & ball pistols are always loaded with oversize balls so they will swage tightly into the chambers of the cylinder.
That is why you have some .451 diameter balls. They are for the pistols.

Looks just like the current Traditions Kentucky. I assume they are still made for Traditions by the same company (Jukar) that made them for CVA? :hmm:

Definitely a CVA. I built my first when I was 12 years old. Still have it. Not too high on the HC/PC meter, but still lots of fun. Very accurate. The locks vary greatly, but if you have one that sparks well it should be just fine. I think all the early ones are .45 cal.

fraungie said:
The lock is a copy of the Maslin style. You can get a direct after market replacement lock of better quality from Track of the Wolf..

Very intersting. Thanx!

I suppose I could use this barrel, with a new, quality lock, and get a custom stock built up, and have a nice shootin' rifle for a decent price.

The company that for 30 years has supplied CVA and Traditions with their Spanish built muzzleloaders is Ardesa.

I'm not positive but I believe Ardesa bought out Jukar because the guns they have built for years look exactly like the older companies guns.

Here is a link to Ardesa's web site.
As you will notice, they make a number of interesting rifles that Traditions doesn't import to the US.

ARDESA MUZZLELOADING RIFLES

My CVA's all had a much wider brass band where the stock pieces joined together. I wonder if they changed them as the years went by, because I had built some in the very early 70's.

tiger13 said:
My CVA's all had a much wider brass band where the stock pieces joined together. I wonder if they changed them as the years went by, because I had built some in the very early 70's.
Most of the CVA's were in kit form. That is how I got the rifle that I have. My brother's friend bought the kit and let it sit, never bothering to work on it. Over time, some of the parts were lost.
He knew that I built M/Lers and gave me the kit.
I have seen finished kits done with the brass piece done both ways. I chose to fit the brass between the stock and forestock.

"I suppose I could use this barrel, with a new, quality lock, and get a custom stock built up, and have a nice shootin' rifle for a decent price"

Crunch the numbers on the replacement parts vs a quality start from fresh parts set and see what you end up with for the investment/investments.

garandman said:
fraungie said:
The lock is a copy of the Maslin style. You can get a direct after market replacement lock of better quality from Track of the Wolf..

Very intersting. Thanx!

I suppose I could use this barrel, with a new, quality lock, and get a custom stock built up, and have a nice shootin' rifle for a decent price.
You certainly could use that barrel for a constructing a new rifle, but your only savings will be the cost of the barrel about $185 or so.
It's your choice, but if it were me I would go with all new parts for your new build, and keep this one for a friend to use.

With well matched wood, I have seen these kits put together without the brass piece at all, and they looked pretty good also.

Back