• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what grease do you use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeb

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am just starting shooting C&B revolvers and I am very confused. I have single shot my 36 cal. revolver with 20gr BP a greased wad and a 36 cal round ball, no grease. But from what I am reading I need grease so,
What grease do you use over the top of the ball?

Some people don't use any grease over the top of the ball but I usually use either Bore Butter patch lube or Crisco shortening.

There are those who say that using a grease over the ball will reduce the possibility of a chain fire but I think it just gives a little extra lube on the surface of the ball to help to lubricate the bore and to help keep the fouling that gets blown out onto the cylinder face and cylinder pin soft.

At one time I used one of those small one handed grease guns with bearing grease, it was fast and easy to apply but I ended up going back to my beeswax and bear grease or commerecial felt wads

I grease over the ball, using a supply of a grease called Pistol Patch sold by Blue and Gray Inc. It is a grease that doesn't melt at normal range and vehicle temperatures, and is very soft, about like fresh caulk out of the tube. It is a bit messy, but not like crisco on a hot day. My theory is that on top the ball helps lube the bore as the ball slides through as well as coating the bore before the fouling hits it. Keep the fouling soft, so the next shot clears it out. I have fired over 100 shots in an afternoon and never had the cylinder bind up from residue like some folks experience.

It would definately stop any fire from hitting the adjacent powder in a chamber but a bit of over kill, many feel that chainfires are more cause from the cap and nipple end anyhows.

If shooting just round ball and no lubed wad, then I will put something like Stumpy's Moose Snot over the ball. For arbor pin lube, I use Mobil 1 Synthetic grease. Could probably use that over the ball, but not PC, but not petroleum based either.

grease is essential for extended shooting keeps the fouling soft and if you use the right lube makes cylinder spinning easier.
I use Natural Lube 100 on the pin of my revolvers and a homemade mix atop the slug/ball. with a dry felt atop the powder.

If using (prelubed) felt wads I use no grease over the ball. I do, however, pop the cylinder out on my Remmies every other time and lube the cylinder pin with white lithium grease. I shoot Pyrodex P and progressive fouling does not seem to be an issue.

If you get a chain fire, the gun was not properly loaded.

Use of proper size caps, and proper size ball is imperative.

The chamber edge should cut a ring off the lead ball when it is being seated.

This was crisco on a cool day . . . mid 60º . . . does this happen with the other lubes? :idunno:
LonghuntervsAliens4.jpg

Some.
No matter what I used, it would up all over the gun.
That's why I switched to felt wads and never looked back.

Years ago I tried Crisco, having read it was a suggested bp lube at the time. I learned quickly that it simply won't do in south Louisiana's clime. I've since used white lithium grease exclusively on cylinder pins & arbhors, and as an over the ball lube to great effect. Only downfall is after the first shot much is lost from the blast. Yet enough remains for its intended purpose. It's cheap and effective.

Cleburne

When I first started shooting C&B in the 70s, I used a pistol lube over the ball (can't even remember the brand). In the early 80s I discovered "Wonder Wads," and have never used anything else since. No mess, easy to load between the powder and ball, chain fire problems have never been an issue. :thumbsup:

I used to use whatever greasy stuff was available. Crisco is the worst. Messy, dirty and the stray cats come running. Many of the top shooters use water pump grease. I acquired a free big bunch of pre-lubed wads and stopped using grease. You do not need both but you do need a cylinder seal. Just because "it ain't chain fired yet" doesn't mean it won't.

I tried it once for kicks, and the first shot threw all the grease out from the top of the remaining balls, leaving almost nothing but a residue. Didn't see the point before, and especially after that. :confused:

I don't grease, or wonder wad for the last several years.

Again, with the proper size ball it is not necessary.

Spend your money on more lead, caps, powder etc..

Did Colt or Remington, specify the use of wonder wads or grease over the cylinders?

Back