• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Good to carry pre weighed BP in?..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaintuckkee said:
...I was thinking maybe film canisters?is this safe? thanks in advance

There are a lot of various things that can be used, most are commercial, some can be home made.

I tried 35mm canisters many years ago and had a problem, nveer used them for hunting again...doesn't mean you can't...just be aware of at least this potential problem:

I had dropped a few into a side (leg) pocket on a pair of 6 pocket GI pants and during the course of the day must have leaned up against a tree or a log, etc, putting enough pressure on a couple of them that the lids popped off, and I had loose powder all in my pocket without realizing it. If you use them for hunting, at least put them in a ziploc bag in case one springs open.

But I use them year round at the range...they're excellent to take a few dozen premeasured charges along. (they're no longer available in the huge volumes like they used to be since digital cameras)

My brother recently made some powder containers from copper piping, cut to length, and then soldered end caps to them. He has cork stoppers to hold the powder in. He found that locating a source of the correct sized cork stoppers was the most important part of the home-build, and he actually altered the size of the copper piping he was going to use after finding NO Corks for the diameter he originally planned to use.

Lesson: Find your cork stoppers first.

On the other hand, I found some plastic tubes used to hold individual cigars sold at the local Walgreens, and cut them down to size. I use the original plastic stoppers. I only have 4 of these, because I only use them when deer hunting. They stay in my hunting bag, in a pocket, so they don't get bumped very much by the other stuff I carry. I know this is not very P/C, but I don't feel very P/C when I am hunting in the rain! :cursing: :cursing: :rotf: :surrender: :hatsoff:

One of the best I found Not PC, but works good are Prescription bottles. I cut a round hole in cap alway tru and put a patched ball in the lid. I put a piece of leather taped to it to hold a cap and to carry it. You can mark the pill bottle after you put your powder in it so is easy to refill it. If you have a real oilly patch, put a thin piece of paper or plastic under lid. You can use the lid for a ball starter, just place cap over muzzle and start the ball. Dilly

s5034486dn9.jpg

s5034487gt1.jpg

If you know someone who works in the medical field (especially in a lab) ask them if they can get you some blood specimen tubes. They come in various sizes & have different kinds of tops that seal very well. I have a friend that got me a lunch bag full of tubes that are the perfect size for my favorite load of 80 gr of FFg. These tubes also fit nicely into an MTM plastic rifle ammo box for storage.

I have used empty 12 ga and 20 ga shotgun shell casing. Cutting them down some and putting one inside the other. The shotgun cases can get messy. I have used small prescription bottles also. I like the bottles better with screw on caps. I use a loading block for my ball.
I have used film cases also but I have had them come open.

Folks that have to check their blood sugar get their little strips in cannisters that have an attached lid so you don't lose it. The cannisters also have a white coating inside that is water resistant to protect the testing strips from moisture. You also don't want moisture in your BP, so I think these little cannisters would be perfect. They are a tad smaller than a 35 mm film cannister.
Ohio Rusty >

I use the copper pipes with a cap soldered too, but just use another cap [not soldered] on the other end. It works great. The cap fits snug enough that none have come off yet.

The Barrel :grin:
Actually I use the plastic speed loaders to hunt with.Keeps the cap, powder and ball or conical.

I hide them in my possibles bag :redface:

It might be a tad easier to use Caplugs, tubular devices of plastic or vinyl that have the industrial function of protecting threaded and other delicate pipe/tube ends.

Sutlers specializing in supplying skirmishers sell several varieties of these devices, known in our sport as "quick charge tubes," that fit cals. .36 through .75, balls and minies, with room for charges of up to 80 grains or more. They go for under $10 per 100, clean easily in a washing machine in one of those net pantyhose bags, and last for ages.

Among good sources are the North East Trade Co.,
http://www.northeasttradeco.com/ (call him and tell him what size you want) and

Winchester Sutler (illustration here shows how they work):
http://cwsutler.hypermart.net/ShotLoad.html#QCTube

For the record, I have no affiliation with either establishment, but have for years been a satisfied customer of both. :v

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey just a thought but how about small diameter PVC pipe with a glued on cap on 1 end and a pressure fit cap on the other. that would be lighter than copper pipe.

It would be PC except for the V :rotf:

Yagee :thumbsup:

I have used large straws with ends covered with masking tape. cheap and easy using small funnel to load with. grlmpl

I use empty cases of centerfire cartridges ('06 casefull of 3F is perfect for my .50)to carry premeasured powder charges in useing vacum line caps to cap them with. PRB in a loading block of 4 ready to load.

Before the plastic speed loaders came on the market, I used to use test tubes. They have a tight fitting stopper, and you can see the powder inside. Sure, they're glass, but I never had one break.

I use 45/70 shell casings with a piece of cork for a cap, and it's brass to boot and throws in the barrel very easy loading.

I've tried an assortment of things ranging from commercial to homemade. Using brass cartridge cases doesn't work for the most part when you get into bigger powder charges. I've got a 50-140 Sharpes and have been seriously considering putting a "cartridge loop" or two on the strap of my possibles bag to hold a couple of them stoppered with corks. Just right for the 120 grain charges in my 58 cal Hawken. Next challenge is figuring how to get them in and out of the loops without knocking off the stopper.

My big problem with most homemade versions reflects Roundball's experience with film cannisters: It's darned easy to knock the caps off most of them in rough and tumble field work. But caps that are tight and secure are so gosh darned slow to take off it's almost as fast to measure a charge.

As an experiment I've used nothing but a horn and measure for the last this year, and that may take hold if I do it much longer. With the measure hanging from the strap, darned if it isn't just about as fast as fiddling with "quick loaders." I enlarged the spout for faster pours on a small priming horn that fits down into my bag, yet holds a surprising 1100 grains of powder. It's sure a lot more convenient in the brush than a larger horn outside the bag, and along with a loading block, it makes for really fast reloads.

There are lots of potential solutions, but none of them will be fast and convenient till you practice. Along the way, you're likely to try about as many varieties as the rest of us before finding the one that suits you best. Fortunately most of them are cheap or free.

Brown Bear's got it! I went through just about every possible gadget to carry charges and durned if a small horn and loading block hasn't turned out to work the best for me.

I use the cardboard tubes that gauge pins come in the ones I have are about 3 or 4 inches long and telescope together almost the full length, they are about 1/2" in diameter, I shoot 90 gr ffg Swiss when hunting and they are only about 1/2 full. I have some that are 20 years old and still work fine. I have also used 20 ga. and 12 ga. shotgun shells telescoped together, I like using empty slug shells the best and they are easy to find around here at the local ranges just before deer season. If you pick them up make sure they are dry on the inside.
Longball 58

Back