• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what era is this pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking a few pistols on line.
What era do you think this one is?
Very late... maybe 1840's.
pix1162280296.jpg

The plain "bag grip" on the pistol was popular in the 1840's although PISTOLS OF THE WORLD, Claude Blair, 1968 THE VIKING PRESS, NEW YORK shows a very similar flintlock pistol (#325).
Its described as "Duelling-pistol, one of a pair, U.S.A. (Middletown); c. 1815"
The only notable difference is the pistol in the book has a trigger-guard hook on the bottom for the middle finger and the lock is engraved.

It's an English style target/holster/dueling pistol. The half-stock style appeared circa 1800-1810 (maybe as early as 1790) and was very popular, both in England and the US, within a few years, so time wise I'd put it circa 1810-20 or even later, but the percussion system had been generally accepted by 1830 or so, especially in pistols and double barrel smoothbores.
The flint lock on this one is of an earlier period (circa 1780's?), but that style remained in use on less expesive pieces well into the 1840's. Higher priced guns were almost all using the improved locks with waterproof pans, roller frizzens, etc. by the 1800-10 period.
Jed Smith was carrying a pair of similar styled conversion pistols when he was killed along the Santa Fe trail in 1831.

I believe it is a Charles Moore dueling pistol from Pedersoli. Looks just like the one I have.

Ed

Back