• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What else can hold a front sight on?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib load

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My slot for my front sight is to big.Is there another way to attach it?The sight near the breach.Thanks,squib

what type of gun is it? are you worried about historical accuracy?
You might be able to put some JB weld in the slot to fill the gap. Then either put the sight in before the JB sets to make it permanent or let it set first then cut in the sight.
mrbortlein

Iam confused usually the sight near the breech is the rear sight,in any case if you look in Track's catalog they have both front and rear sights with very wide bases that can be filed to fit almost any size dovetail.The sight can be soldered in place this of course prevents any lateral adjustment,if the sight is just slightly loose,peening the lip of the dovetail can do the job.I have used thin brass shims if the gap and shims are small you won't notice them.

There are several ways to attach a sight if your dovetail is to large. One is to used j.b weld to fill the dovetail and cut another dovetail into the J.B. Another way is to force fit a "plug" into the dovetail that has a new dovetail cut into the plug.A third and touchier method is to have a GOOD welding shop weld a plug into dovetail, and then cut a new dovetail.All methods will require some filing and refinishing.Or you can just get a front sight with a longer base. :idunno:

NO.... Don't weld on the barrel. :shake:

Just buy another sight from TOW that has a longer base & file it to fit.

If you don't want to buy another sight, have someone run a bead of weld with a wire welder on the Sight you have (Off the barrel), file it down to fit.

Easy fix, either way.

Keith Lisle

Ok guys,Iam making a early lancaster which has their own sight.I will try the j b weld.Thnks to all.squib

Just my opinion but before you muck up your barrels dovetail with gray goop, are we talking about a "little loose" or "very loose".

The best approach is to buy a sight with a larger dovetail on it and then carefully file it down to fit the slot. If the sight fits very loosely this is the only good way to fix it.

There are several ways to tighten up the fit of a dovetail without resorting to gray goop if the sight is only a little loose.

One method is to make localized "dents" or pricks with a sharp punch on the bottom of the sight base.
There should be several of these made and each indentation will end up with a little material around it that is raised up above the surface.
These little raised areas will interfere with the barrels dovetail making for a tight fit.

Another is to lightly hammer the points of the dovetail on the sight to make them "dull".
These last two methods will create a interference between the barrels dovetail and the sights dovetail which will allow adjustment of the sight and look like it was professionally done.

Probably 14 dif. sights you can put on a Lancaster that are Correct.....

Build it right, build it once....

Keith Lisle

Buy one of the big base sights from TOW and use.
Or, get a hunk of steel and whittle (file) yer own.
Or, do as many guys do with advancing age, just fill in the current dovetail with a hunk of brass and cut another further up the barrel.
But, don't weld or solder. Yuk. :barf: :nono:

You silver solder it on & you may end up with a tight spot in the bore, like I did on one long ago. You have to get the barrel too hot when you silver solder one.

If any soldering is to be done on one, you use soft solder that is a low temp.

Keith Lisle

You caught me just in time.Iam about to leave for homedepot.I will get low heat solder.squib

ducktape, superglue! nah I think you should be fine with the soft solder but you need to be able to adjust, it would be far more convenient to just order a larger based sight.

Birddog6 said:
You silver solder it on & you may end up with a tight spot in the bore, like I did on one long ago. You have to get the barrel too hot when you silver solder one.

If any soldering is to be done on one, you use soft solder that is a low temp.

Keith Lisle

I've soft soldered a few front sights, some with just blades, and one with a base. If soldering just a blade, it helps to strengthen the joint by making a "fillet" of solder along the bottom of the blade. Just a fancy name for build-up of the solder along the joint. The fillet can be shaped for an asthetic look, and will add much more strength that a simple butt-joint. Bill

Back