• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What does this.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much by itself. How many times has the rifle been fired? Do other patches get the same hole? What kind of lube were you using? Does is load very easily? You might not be getting enough seal. Need more info.

It could be a sharp edge on the rifling or if a used gun pitting could cause that as well.

Are you shooting spit patch? If so try a few olive oil patches and see if you have the same results.
:idunno:

Is your patch undersized?

Meaning, is it meant for a smaller size ball than the one you are using it for? It seems odd frayed all the way around like that.

Native Arizonan said:
Is your patch undersized?

Meaning, is it meant for a smaller size ball than the one you are using it for? It seems odd frayed all the way around like that.
This is also where I'm leaning - the patch looks like it may be too small judging by the dark line of ball/bore junction. Is this a smoothbore?

The hole is likely from the sharp edge of a land.

This is some patching a friend sent me a while back and I think they're just a tat undersized for my .58 caliber Dimick rifle! They are pre-lubed and probably will work real well in my .50 caliber rifles. I normally shoot .018" thick pillow ticking lubed with Canola oil and 100 grs. KIK 2F powder and I cut at the muzzle. Accuracy has been better than outstanding prior to my last range session when the flyers came about using this patching material! I have enough rounds fired such that I think the bore/rifling is smooth and more than likely in this case the load is too hot for the patch material causing the 'blow-by'! :doh: When the 'skeeters' abate a mite....I'll go back to my regular patching, cutting at the muzzle and see what happens!

Thanks for your views! :bow:

What the patch is telling you, is that the patch is old and deteriorated because of the lubricant. Because the integrity of the patch material is compromised, you are likely to see a wear hole in the patch. It's best to lubricate the patch material just before loading.

Try lubricating your patch just before loading and see if the patches tell a different story.

Patch condition is deceiving. The group on the paper at various ranges is the tell-all factor. If your rifle is getting the groups you want with those patches then what the patch looks like is meaningless. There have been many times when my fired patches look nearly re-usable but the group is lousy or at least clearly inferior to other groups with different components. My one-hole at 50 yards FL occasionally throws patches out the barrel that look similar to that. Any good shooter off the bench can get one big hole at 50 yards with this rifle and usually 3" or under at 100 yards. Less powder or a larger ball make the patches look real clean and neat, but are not nearly as accurate as this load that produces an occasional uneven patch that might have a little hole in it somewhere.

Back