• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do you shoot in your TC New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along the lines of this thread, does anyone know if you can buy a cylinder tube for those New Englander barrels with threaded chokes? I haven't ever seen one, but they may be available. I do have a second full choke tube and have thought about trying to have it opened up to cylinder. Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread TDM.

Last edited:
Back at my camp, brought all the stuff I had ordered for the New Englander and my 50’s. Need a day or so to get chores done, then I’ll try different PRB combinations and see how it goes.

Attachments

• 9CF759FC-554E-4117-956D-44B6883E16FF.jpeg
    9CF759FC-554E-4117-956D-44B6883E16FF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Along the lines of this thread, does anyone know if you can buy a cylinder tube for those New Englander barrels with threaded chokes? I haven't ever seen one, but they may be available. I do have a second full choke tube and have thought about trying to have it opened up to cylinder. Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread TDM.
Browning invector, win choke, Mossberg choke tubes fit the TC Newenglander all kinds of tubes available.

A .54 barrel in excellent condition went for 152.00 yesterday on eBay. I’m sick as a dog right now and fell asleep and missed it. I have the 12 ga barrel and wanting to get the rifle to. 12 ga barrels are way more expensive that .50 or .54s. Looking to also replace bead w/a large fiber optic. Been shooting mine with over powder card, felt cushion, bp12 wad, 2 overshot cards. If duck or turkey hunting I use buffer powder. Hope this helps!!!

My New Englander is a "Yellow Bird Gun" (named for a character in a series of short stories and novels I wrote). It has barrels from 9" to 12". My 12 gauge barrel is one of the 12" ones. Most commonly, I shoot a .710 round ball, sometimes patched, sometimes not and sometimes atop an over-powder card wad and a fiber wad. You have to have SOMETHING on top of the ball to keep it from rolling out if you haven't patched it. I am nervous about using a thin overshot wad with a round ball so usually put another fiber wad atop the whole shebang.

I usually put 7 grains of 3f Old Eynsford at the breech and follow it with thirty grains of 2f Triple 7 for a charge. More than that is pretty punishing with such a short barrel. Also, the point of impact is heavily dependent upon charge weight. Thirty grains drops it "right in there" at twenty yards.

Shot charges tend to be light... about a half ounce atop the above powder charge with an over-powder card, a fiber wad and topped by an over-shot wad. Pattern is right around a yard at that range and number 8 shot will penetrate both sides of a steel soup can. I've tried this load on starlings and such with good results, but while the gun is perfectly legal to own and possess, I don't think it is legal to hunt with, so I haven't tried it on any game birds.

I know you can shoot these loads "dry", but I usually lube the fiber wads and the round ball patch with T/C Bore Butter. There is no real hurry to reload as my usual targets just sit there waiting.

My character was going to use a similar gun, so I wanted to test it before I handed it to Yellow Bird to be used on a fictitious "tracking beast" at close range. Tracking beasts are dog-like creatures about the size of a large bear.

Now, returning to the real word from my bookverse, mostly a Yellow Bird Gun is just another man toy.

My New Englander is a "Yellow Bird Gun" (named for a character in a series of short stories and novels I wrote). It has barrels from 9" to 12". My 12 gauge barrel is one of the 12" ones. Most commonly, I shoot a .710 round ball, sometimes patched, sometimes not and sometimes atop an over-powder card wad and a fiber wad. You have to have SOMETHING on top of the ball to keep it from rolling out if you haven't patched it. I am nervous about using a thin overshot wad with a round ball so usually put another fiber wad atop the whole shebang.

I usually put 7 grains of 3f Old Eynsford at the breech and follow it with thirty grains of 2f Triple 7 for a charge. More than that is pretty punishing with such a short barrel. Also, the point of impact is heavily dependent upon charge weight. Thirty grains drops it "right in there" at twenty yards.

Shot charges tend to be light... about a half ounce atop the above powder charge with an over-powder card, a fiber wad and topped by an over-shot wad. Pattern is right around a yard at that range and number 8 shot will penetrate both sides of a steel soup can. I've tried this load on starlings and such with good results, but while the gun is perfectly legal to own and possess, I don't think it is legal to hunt with, so I haven't tried it on any game birds.

I know you can shoot these loads "dry", but I usually lube the fiber wads and the round ball patch with T/C Bore Butter. There is no real hurry to reload as my usual targets just sit there waiting.

My character was going to use a similar gun, so I wanted to test it before I handed it to Yellow Bird to be used on a fictitious "tracking beast" at close range. Tracking beasts are dog-like creatures about the size of a large bear.

Now, returning to the real word from my bookverse, mostly a Yellow Bird Gun is just another man toy.
Wow - a 12 GA having only a one foot barrel! My hat is off to you for fortitude in shooting such an implement for recreation. But then, nowadays I have become an old sissy...
I did enjoy seeing the mention of your duplex load. Have been considering triple 7 for awhile, but still using up my ancient black powder supply (it's Goex in metal cans). Maybe I should go ahead and procure some 777 for economy of the old stuff.
Best wishes to you in your literary endeavors!

Wow... I've got a .50 rifle with a 13 inch barrel but I imagine a 12 gauge would be much more punishing on the shoulder. Sounds like something I would like though... I'm a bit of a writer myself. Had several articles published in Backwoodsman since about 2015, then a two year break for cancer, and now working on several more articles for them. But I don't have a novel or short story in me. I don't have the imagination or patience I guess. Where might your writings be available for purchase? Sounds like interesting reading.

Wow... I've got a .50 rifle with a 13 inch barrel but I imagine a 12 gauge would be much more punishing on the shoulder. Sounds like something I would like though... I'm a bit of a writer myself. Had several articles published in Backwoodsman since about 2015, then a two year break for cancer, and now working on several more articles for them. But I don't have a novel or short story in me. I don't have the imagination or patience I guess. Where might your writings be available for purchase? Sounds like interesting reading.
Well, most of my stuff is still unpublished and as I have cancer now, most likely it will remain so. One of the novels is still available as an ebook: The Wives of Jacob: Book I, In the Beginning... by Dale A. Raby - Books on Google Play I used to be on Amazon, but they deleted all three of my ebooks for some reason and I have yet to learn exactly why... though I can guess.

As you doubtless know, writing the article/book is the easy part, getting it published, getting people to read it and actually making any money at all on it... those are the hard parts. The book has references to black powder guns in a post-apocalyptic world, and the protagonist starts out as a civil war soldier initially thought to have died.

As to the YBG, it was at first a concept gun, then a prototype, now just a toy. I started with a New Englander .54, which was a nine inch gun, then later modified a Greyhawk .50 in 12", then obtained a 12 gauge barrel that had already been cut. It carries very nicely muzzle down on the left shoulder and can be brought into play very quickly from that position, which is how it was designed. Barrels are easily interchanged. There is no ramrod, an extra-long short starter serves for that purpose and hangs around the shooter's neck, and in my bookverse, the cord is a necklace populated by tracking beast teeth.

My character built it on an old Brittish sea service lock, so mine is certainly not exactly the gun I envisioned for Yellow Bird to carry through a post-apocalyptic bookverse. The bookverse references alternate realities, so in the novel referenced above Yellow Bird doesn't even have the YBG if memory serves. I wrote that one a long time ago now, so the details are sketchy in my mind. The second book has an alternate version of Yellow Bird who does have the YBG... and needs it badly. How could I disappoint?

I have plans to print up twelve bound books wtih all my works, but that means I have to get my print shop set up and running and be able to print up and bind all my works before I croak, which the doc tells me should be in "a few years". As I still have to finish some of the works, this is an iffy proposition.

Latest posts

Back