• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I have?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batterycharged

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I inherited a flintlock from my father. At first I thought it was just a fake because the barrel looks like a giant piece of pipe. Turns out, that's how they look.

29qe0dl.jpg

2zs7ceb.jpg
2cqii3b.jpg

The lock works well. It's a 33.5" x 1" hex barrel. And it has absolutely no markings whatsoever, so I am clueless.

Does it look real or a reproduction? What are the odds it's just a mantle piece?

Any help would be great. I almost gave it away and would be excited if it had some value.

Oh, lol. Thanks. I really am clueless. So does that mean it's a reproduction?

Is it typical for these guns to have no markings?

The stock has a copper strip around it.

Are there any clues that tell me what this is? The ram-rod is broken and looks brand new.

You had to be a big guy to shoot this thing, the barrel weighs a ton and sticks out 3 ft.

Looks old to me but others will be able to tell you better than me. Could be as old as 1850's. Wait for the experts to answer that.

Definitely a "caplock" also known as Percussion rifle. It uses a percussion cap on a nipple for ignition.
That long-range adjustable rear sight looks expensive.
I'd guess either a .32 or .36 caliber target rifle.
You should have it checked out in person by a qualified blackpowder gunsmith before deciding if it's a wall-hanger or a shooter. And be sure to check if it is still loaded before you do anything! You can do that with a wooden dowel since the ramrod is broken. Stick it down the bore until it stops and mark it, then pull it out and line up the mark with the rod outside the barrel. If it doesn't go all the way to the bottom it may be loaded. If it is, do NOT try to shoot it out!

Welcome to the forum. :)

The gun appears to me to be real in that it is not a modern replica. That doesn't mean it was built in the 1800's.

It is possible it was built sometime in the 1900's using parts which date back prior to the turn of the century. With old guns without markings it is difficult to say.

If it was actually built in the 1800's the time period that the percussion back lock (which is a description of the type of ignition and of the position of the the lockplate relative to the hammer) would be around 1850-1870.

The general styling could be from the Ohio area.

It does seem to be made by using some parts that are not typical of rifles of that era, the adjustable rear sight being the first thing that wouldn't fit the time period.
Adjustable "ladder style" sights like this one were most often found on Military guns that were made after the cartridge was accepted (after 1870). It is possible that someone added the rear sight and modified the front sight to be used with it after the gun was first built.

Because there is a chance that this is a gun made in the era of muzzleloaders I am moving this to the Research section.

battercharged said:
It's a 33.5" x 1" hex barrel.

Sure looks like an 'oct' barrel to me. Unless the image has changed by being looked at over here in not-so-Merrie Olde England, I can clearly see EIGHT sides.

Hexagonal barrels are VERY unusual.

Just sayin'.

tac

From your pictures my first hunch is a "Tryon" or similar, from the Fort Pitt/Ohio valley area.
Since you say there are no markings I would suppose it may have been made by a graduating apprentice under a master's supervision.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I won't speak to the rifle itself, but the rear sight looks to be from an American 1898 krag rifle.

At first I thought the sight was a buffington off of an 1884 trapdoor, but it could be off one the the MANY centerfire military rifles of the late 1800's.

Maybe from a 7mm Rem roller. I have one of the late Argentine Rem Roller models that was arsenel reworked in the 1950's and it a very similar sight.

the sight in the picture is listed as a Krag rifle rear sight 1901. It is identical to the site on my rifle. Well, mine is not quite as clean.

Back