• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What do I have here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An old friend has had these two pistols in his collection for a number of years, took them on a trade one day, and is now letting things go (age catching up). He has no interest in bp guns (never did) and has never fired either piece but they've obviously been used by someone in the past and meticulously cared for. I've never seen anything quite like them in the bp category and am not aware of where they'd have been used. Would appreciate comments.

thumbnail.jpg

Other than a classic 22 target build.......

Maybe still use it, but the name Hamereli comes to mind with that form factor.

What Caliber (or best guess) and does the screw looking device in the back turn out?

Other than a classic 22 target build.......

Maybe still use it, but the name Hamereli comes to mind with that form factor.

What Caliber (or best guess) and does the screw looking device in the back turn out?
I'm going to assume they're .50 cal. Yes the screw in the back turns out revealing a short chamber and access to a slotted breech plug. No markings anywhere other than one of the sight bases.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You made my day as those are really neat. Partridge front sight is a true target type as of course are the rear ones.

That is one big caliber for a Target Form.

Can you clarify the pegs up front and the String (?) going on back? Do they come out etc.

You made my day as those are really neat. Partridge front sight is a true target type as of course are the rear ones.

That is one big caliber for a Target Form.

Can you clarify the pegs up front and the String (?) going on back? Do they come out etc.
The pegs are the handle for the false muzzles - strings are there to keep them from falling. You can see the false muzzle a bit more clearly in this pic.

Attachments

• image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
Not just a guess...These are custom machined NMLRA rules non-traditional rules match pistols from the 70s- 80s . There are many similar types out there without makers marks.Don't know who made these. If you go to the NMLRA national championships you will find a few who started in the 70s still on the pistol line who will tell you a story of who made these pistols...c

Last edited:
That is a really nice set of target pistols. The pegs on the false muzzles was to block the sights so they couldn't shoot the false muzzle down range. Didn't always work so they added the string attached to the false muzzle and the other end had to be attached to the shooting bench

That is a really nice set of target pistols. The pegs on the false muzzles was to block the sights so they couldn't shoot the false muzzle down range. Didn't always work so they added the string attached to the false muzzle and the other end had to be attached to the shooting bench
Had to make a NMLRA rule requiring false muzzles to be tied to the bench do to wasting too much time looking for these things flying down range. Same guys never had a ball puller or learned how to use one since they never dry-balled...

They look like some that a fellow had years ago. He owned Rebel Arms in Pasadena and later relocated his operation over by Cut And Shoot off the Texas highway 105. Seems to me his name was Randy White but I'm not positive about that.

Amazing pieces! If Walther or Hammerli made ML Olympic competition pistols they would look like this! Bomar rear sights, heel rests, trigger stops and flintlocks. Artistic stylists might call them steampunk.

Thanks for all the info - had no clue as to what they were. I shoot bp recreationally and would probably never compete with these but they're likely to end up in a relative's hand and into the nearest pawn shop before long. He's set no value on them and is planning on taking them to a local gun show to see what he could get. Doubt there'll be much interest from those folks. If I was to make him an offer, what do you guys think would be a ball-park figure?

If he’s willing to wait they could be worth maybe 5-6 hundred each. There aren’t many buyers at that price. If it were me I’d offer 300 each and then shoot them a lot…

It’s a tool. Sometimes made from the last inch or two of the barrel. Mounted with pins and corresponding mortises so it’s timed to the rifling. It’s used to ensure straight loading of the projectile and also protects the crown from damage. Removed most of the time before shooting. If not, some time is spent searching for it. It’s usually easier to find than a launched ramrod which often disappears entirely.
IMG_4868.jpeg

They used to be a term .."Friendship Special" ..sorta generic wording for non-traditional muzzle loaders created for competition. We saw some outstanding craftsmanship and innovation evolve around such competition. Unfortunately, such fine firearms don't fit into the "pre-18??" category. Someone will complain. I like 'em. Thanks for posting.

My apologies for posting these here - wasn't thinking about the time frame of the guns. Saw an old post about a set and Zonie yanked it and scolded everyone. Guess we're a little bit more relaxed than we used to be.

My apologies for posting these here - wasn't thinking about the time frame of the guns. Saw an old post about a set and Zonie yanked it and scolded everyone. Guess we're a little bit more relaxed than we used to be.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Learned a thing or two from this thread and do not regret it being here.

Back