• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what bullet.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Up till now i have always shot round ball in all my pistols & revolvers,over the last few months i have been experimenting with paper cartridges ,what i would like to try is a conical bullet in my Rogers & Spencer .44,any advise on what conical bullet might be worth a try would be appreciated ,Thanks.
(Pete)

To load easily the bullet needs to be a "heeled" design. These have a short area at the rear that is undersized and intended to serve as a guide into the chamber.

Dixie Gunworks used to sell these but unfortunately they are no longer offered.

Pete you should know of or measure to determine the o.d. of the ball that is recommended for your R&S. I've never owned one so can't say seems I read somewhere it's .457.
Lee makes a mold for conicals in that size. use pure lead as you can get to pour the slugs.

Thanks,i normally use a .457 ball so i hoping to find a mould that would cast the same with a weight around 220 to 230 grains.I have a friend who is flying to the USA next month ,who would bring one back,
(Pete)

hogslayer said:
Thanks,i normally use a .457 ball so i hoping to find a mould that would cast the same with a weight around 220 to 230 grains.I have a friend who is flying to the USA next month ,who would bring one back,
(Pete)

Pete - FYI, the Lee conical mould made for the Ruger Old Army is not only .457" diameter, but is also slightly 'heeled' for an easer fit. If you PM me with your address I'm more than happy to put a few in the mail for you to try before you buy.

tac

Thanks for your kind offer ,I live in the UK so shipping plus VAT would cost much more that just buying a one.is this the mold you refer to, (.456" diameter, 220 grain, Conical revolver mold,LEE-90384 )?
(Pete)

Back