• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Ball Size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have these two newly acquired colt replicas both in .44cal. I already have some .457's that I shoot in my ROA and some .451's that I got somewhere a long time ago. The Pietta's cylinder mics out to .440 and the Uberti's mics out to .440 also. Which ball size should I use?

RR,

When I was 16.. My brother came home on leave from the Navy.. He brought me a C&B pistol, that he got from someone on his base < they shot it once and hated cleaning it! > Mine always like the .454's, so that is what I use? .457's were a bear to load and I never could find any .451's in my area at the time.< 28 odd yrs ago in SE KS > back then I never knew anyone like a Dixie GW, Dixon's, Log Cabin shop or the like was around :redface: Just dug up anything I could to read up on them and went at it!!

My advice, get some of each and see what your gun likes :hmm: usually the gun will tell you what it preferes..

BYW my CVA .36 C&B,, ended up having oversized chambers and needs a .380 ball!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

RiverRat,
The 457's are deffinetly for a ruger oa, I wouldgo with 451's. when those get loaded, the push rod gives the leverage toallow for shaving a small amoutn off as it enters the chamber, in this case,a ring of lead approx .005 +/-.
The 457's will probly cause ont to maybe tweak or bend the loading arm components.

FWIW,

Brett

Your gun may be different but i always used .454's in my Colt style .44's instead of .451's. The .454 left a ring of lead when loaded and the .451's didn't. I also use .457's in my Remingtons for the same reason.

the pietta chambers I've seen are a bit smaller than the ubertis and 451s work just fine. some ubertis allow 451s to walk under recoil but handle 454 and 457 just fine. I generally get .448" on pietta chambers and .450 when I measure Ubertis. could vary among guns/production runs but hasn't so far. I am not a good hand with a caliper

.454 or .457, both worked great in my Rem! .451 are not tight enough, ball creeps forward and jams cylinder rotation.

I'd go with .454 for those. They're not as hard to load as the .457's but still shave a nice ring for a tight fit.

Mec, exactly my findings. In my Piettas I use Lee .452" balls that I cast. And Uberti and old ASP 1858's/ Colt Dragoon I use Lee .457" homecast balls. Uberti 1851 Navy a Lee .380 cast ball.
.454" would probly work well in both but I like the .457"s and the .452" sizes...they work well for me.
(found that most swedged balls may run a hair bigger.)

Don't have a Colt but have a '58 Rem that I use .454's in, shaves a ring of lead when ramming. I also have a ROA that I must use .457's in to shave the 'ring' off.

Back