• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What a better twist rate for a 54 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My .54 is a Green Mountain "Round Ball Special" with 1-66 twist. It will not shoot any conical but is very very accurate with patched round ball.

Have read in a number of publications.

Have followed many discussions.

Original tooling from J&S Hawken shop exists and is set up for 1:48. Documented by the Missouri Historical Society.

Original Hawken rifle’s exist with the 1:48 twist.

Lastly, just google “ original Hawken rifle twist rate “ See what comes up my friend??

Not going to do the research for you my friend. It’s out there if you’re truly interested?

Respectfully, Cowboy

View attachment 45454
Thanks for the information! The main reason I asked the question is that I have shot a lot of different muzzle loaders and found that in order for me to get good accuracy generally with a 1:48 rate of twist using a .50 ball I had to lower the powder charge down to 60 grains in 50 cal. rifles for the best accuracy?I could use 80 grains if the barrel had a 1:66 rate of twist? I do realize that all rifles although being the same Cal. can have slightly different bore diameters . This could make a difference but I have no idea how much? I don't post very often but read many post and it appears that others here are getting different results than I do? I use to be a fairly good shot and have set up several muzzles loaders and modern firearms for other people. I use to work on firearms but age and eyes has curtailed a lot of this. I have also shot in a few matches in the past with good results not with muzzle loader rifles as few around my area use them that I know of?I am at a loss as why such differences in results?

My barrels for 54 and 58 cal. Have been 1:66 -1:70 twist. Using patched round balls exclusively, I have had excellent results in terms of accuracy with both calibers running from 70gr to +100gr.

Thanks for the information! The main reason I asked the question is that I have shot a lot of different muzzle loaders and found that in order for me to get good accuracy generally with a 1:48 rate of twist using a .50 ball I had to lower the powder charge down to 60 grains in 50 cal. rifles for the best accuracy?I could use 80 grains if the barrel had a 1:66 rate of twist? I do realize that all rifles although being the same Cal. can have slightly different bore diameters . This could make a difference but I have no idea how much? I don't post very often but read many post and it appears that others here are getting different results than I do? I use to be a fairly good shot and have set up several muzzles loaders and modern firearms for other people. I use to work on firearms but age and eyes has curtailed a lot of this. I have also shot in a few matches in the past with good results not with muzzle loader rifles as few around my area use them that I know of?I am at a loss as why such differences in results?
With muzzies there are many factors that make every gun regardless of caliber unique.
Depth of rifling can dictate a lot of that. Number of grooves also.
My .54 Thompson has deeper rifling and to seal it up I have to use a .530 ball with a .018-.020 patch.
My Pedersoli Frontier likes .535 ball and a .010 patch.
For me - finding the likes and dislikes of a particular load is a lot of the enjoyment of shooting these beasts.

The 1:48" twist is pretty much a universal choice. The 1:56" close second. The only .54 rifle I ever had was a fairly heavy (about 12 lbs) and had a 1:72" twist. With a prb it would not begin to group until charges were north of 100 gr. And, at that, it was very unpleasant to shoot. My advice, good ole stand-by, 1:48".
My .58 also 1:72. Groups shrink at loads higher than 110 gr. Sure know when it fires.

again if you want accuracy with light to medium or heavy loads this is the twist rates you will need. .45, 1/56 .50 1/60 .54 1/62. learned that from a old long gone barrel maker. i used that on 18 ive built and it worked perfectly every time to any range. close to far out,round ball of course. i did build a 1/72 50 cal for a man who could make it shoot very tight when he used 100 grains of powder. my formulas work with any load. light or heavy.

With muzzies there are many factors that make every gun regardless of caliber unique.
Depth of rifling can dictate a lot of that. Number of grooves also.
My .54 Thompson has deeper rifling and to seal it up I have to use a .530 ball with a .018-.020 patch.
My Pedersoli Frontier likes .535 ball and a .010 patch.
For me - finding the likes and dislikes of a particular load is a lot of the enjoyment of shooting these beasts.
I agree with this hobby being a lot of fun! I also agree with Riflings having a huge part in how a rifle responds to different loads. Bullet size,weight,length, and powder charge pushing it have to be right to obtain good accuracy not to mention how good the fellow pulling the trigger has to be!
This virus has cramped my style and staying at the house has rendered me stir crazy. I found this forum and it has eased the pain somewhat. It amazed me of how much I didn't know . I thought I was pretty well versed on firearms? You are never to old to learn something new!

Latest posts

Back