• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wet weather duck hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstoch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Had a great first hunt with my Pede 12 s x s last Saturday. 5 teal over decoys. Granted the longest shot was maybe 20 yds and there were misses as well. We will not mention the skillet shot. After duck hunting for over 50 years this has to be some of the most rewarding shooting I have ever experienced.
Question: there is a 60% chance of rain next Saturday so, how do you prepare your gun for that? We are not hunting in a covered blind so we may get wet. Any advice to a newbie will be helpful. :)

I'll claim more than 20 years of muzzleloader duck hunting spread over the last 40 years without covered blinds, most of it in nasty weather. That's just when we hunt here because it's best.

I've always worried a lot about the "loose" fit of a shotgun load in the bore and the prospect of pointing skyward sometimes for hours on rainy days. Frankly never had the courage to try it any other way- I just cover the muzzles with electrical tape and the heck with HC/PC. Never had a misfire, and don't plan to.

I use a "cow's knee" of sorts to cover the locks, but the historically inclined might be reluctant to put that label on the little sheet of camo plastic I lay loose across my lap including the locks. :haha:

I HAVE had issues with water getting into my shooting bag and fouling a powder horn and capper. Now I keep a small horn and the capper in my waterproof coat pocket.

Kinda takes practice to handle wads of any sort with wet gloves. I shed the gloves for loading jobs, but rely on non-HC/PC hand warmer packs in my gloves to restore circulation and feeling after a reload.

Glad your hunt worked out so well. It's most certainly addictive!

Since I usually hunt out of a single size rock blind, and I does rain frequently here on the lake, I try to keep the blls pointed down(remember I'm with no-one else), and the locks tucked under my rain poncho. Still have quick, and save access to a shot, and water doesn't cause problems.....by the way, sounds like you had a great hunt....good show.....Gary

That is FUNNY, until I realized I would be hunting with a .22 I used my size!LOL
On a serious note, do you just pull the tape or condom off before each shot? There would be no "snap" shots when doing this.

I had a great time duck hunting last year with my Pedersoli SxS 12 gauge. Luckily, we were hunting in a covered blind on private property. I managed to take a few ducks and even pulled a double on some teal. Wing shooting takes on a whole new meaning when your doing it behind a nice blackpowder shotgun. I definitely want to do it again.

Jeff

dstoch said:
...do you just pull the tape or condom off before each shot?

No need. The rush of air ahead of the load coming down the bore blows the tape free. Dunno about the condoms, but it makes me wonder if high speed photography wouldn't reveal a "baloon" effect before the load exited. Funny to think about! :rotf:

BrownBear said:
Would have if I could have. Just wouldn't work on my 12 SxS. Maybe that sezz more about me than my shotgun. :rotf:

You have a side-by-side? Sounds like a birth deformity :slap:

HardBall said:
BrownBear said:
Would have if I could have. Just wouldn't work on my 12 SxS. Maybe that sezz more about me than my shotgun. :rotf:

You have a side-by-side? Sounds like a birth deformity :slap:

Must be, but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. :rotf:

On a practical note, magnum condoms won't do it. Too much stretching with the sharp edges and sight bead. A partial roll of electrical tape takes up little room in the bag and is a whole lot cheaper. In the wet you won't get it to stick simply draping it over the muzzles. The solution is to drape the first piece over both muzzles, then use a second piece to wrap around the barrels and secure the ends. Yeah, it's visible on the sighting plane, but so low it's not a blocker. I kinda wonder if I could hit anything without that band of tape up there, I'm so used to seeing it. :wink:

Anybody thought about using wax over the edges of the nipples to waterproof from that end. Frankly if the load is tightly packed you shouldnt have a worry on the muzzle end.

Outstanding dstoch!...brings back the fun :thumbsup:
made full length rainfly open bottom length.just works
bees wax on musket caps bbl pointing down.
Went comando in the rain this last sunday..Down poured both bbls went off when we called it quits.
More powder,more shot!

Back