• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wet/dry metal sanding using light oi?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooddaytoya!

40 Cal
Reaction score
Or cutting oil? In my Draw File Question post, Phil mentioned that using water with wet/dry sandpaper would work better than dry paper. I believe that. So,. *I wonder whether light oil or de-odorized lamp oil would work better, using good liquid flow to wash out debris?*. The idea springs from the fact that oil promotes metal cutting better than water does. Once I was threading pipes, ran out of oil, and tried substituting water - to find that while cutting, the threads partially broke off the pipes (not a good idea anyway, the impetuous youth that I was, over 50 years ago.). Thx guys.

I’ve used kerosene with wed or dry with good results. It didn’t cut any better but was less likely to dry out in the very dry environment where I was. Also it makes you hands smell.

I just use 3-in-one household oil. I've used other oils, including cutting oil, and haven't noticed any difference. So might as well use the cheap stuff. I suppose you could use almost anything that provides lubrication and picks up the metal dust. Water alone is better than nothing, though I can't visualize it as better than oil. I have on occasion used spit when oil wasn't handy and I was in a hurry.

I’ve used kerosene with wed or dry with good results. It didn’t cut any better but was less likely to dry out in the very dry environment where I was. Also it makes you hands smell.
Thanks, Phil. As you suggest it seems to be a matter of flowing the debris out from under the paper, plus maybe superior cutting with oil. Kerosene does stink. But there is a kerosene-like lamp oil, I just can't think of it's name. I've seen "deodorized kerosene" for lamps. Hmm...I wonder if automatic transmission fluid would also work, since my shop has some half bottles of it. I'll try them all.

I use good old spit quite frequently sanding metal. Small scrap of paper, a little spit, and go to town. Maybe not a barrel, but a trigger guard or ramrod pipes I prefer it. Cleans up easy too with a quick wipe. Cheap oil like 3 in 1 also works, but messier.
I’ve always thought of wet sanding with water as more for paint or finishes.

Why would you need to wet sand a barrel? Definitely NOT with any oil.
Way more complicated that necessary.
Now, if you’re gonna brown or blue a barrel, you gotta get all that oil out of every crack or crevice.
Draw filing is ALL that is necessary.

Back