• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weson Boxlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes..I also read yesterday that they were used by snipers....
Mine was made by Replica Arms. I dont see why you couldnt use FFF when shootin.
I suppose they are similar to the Mowreys boxlock and the barrel is screwed into the chamber....
so when its time to clean you dont remove the
barrel....
Mine is different from the ones that have been discussed so far....it is fullstock.
I guess its a rare puppy...cant wait for the BROWN TRUCK to show up!

wills said:
Yes, mine says Richland Arms. Per the suggestion, I checked Michigan corporate records and they show the corporation to have been dissolved in 1988.

The description matches mine except for the color case hardened frame.

What is the history of the originals? I gather some may have been used by Union snipers, and the Wesson may have been the first to use a false muzzle. Were they originally intended as match rifles?

I also wonder about the powder charge. This is my first ML. I am used to shooting 60 Gr. Goex Cartridge behind a 439 grain bullet in a BPCR.

I have fired the Wesson a few times using two .44-40 casefulls of Goex FFG, but since the barrel is shorter and the round ball is lighter than my BPCR, I wonder if I should shoot FFF.

I have seen the Dixie site, they have a .45, I think that is where I got the idea it may have been made by Palmetto.

Does yours have the removeable false muzzle?

That is too bad. I always wonder how someone could loose something like that. I guess it will be almost impossible to find one. You could probably have one made.

The original false muzzle was made by cutting off a section of the original barrel, which was indexed to the barrel. It is very difficult or impossible to make up a new false muzzle because of this. The lands and grooves where the barrel and false muzzle meet must match up perfectly.

Some false muzzle got lost by being shot off.

I think that a false muzzle can be replaced but it a very difcult job. I think that you can use the barrel as the rifling guild to rifle the false muzzle.

I made a false muzzle for an old barrel. The barrel will have to be reamed and rerifled with the new false muzzle on it. I am going to rifle it gain twist for a round ball.

A properly made false muzzle has a sight blocker on it so that it is impossible to aim the rifle with the false muzzle in place. There are stories of false muzzles being shot off, but mostly they are folk lore or urban legends depending on when they were first told.

For some reason I am under the impression the false muzzles on the replicas were not rifled as the originals were. I don’t know where I got this idea.

This one has holes for the alignment pins, and the reproduction Dixie Gun Works sells at http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=2015 is described as having a false muzzle.

Some of the things I have been able to find indicate Wesson may have been the first licensee after the false muzzle was patented. I can’t locate the sources at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Dixie no longer has it. I emailed them about it about 6 months ago. They have been sold out for a couple of years. I wish that they would update their website. I would love to have one but I guess they are history.

Back