• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JM Caswell questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a chance to buy an original JM Caswell rifle today I have many questions is there anybody that has time for me to pick their brain with a phone call?
If you can access Swinney's "New York State Firearms Trade", there is an EXTENSIVE write-up on John M Caswell and many quality photos of his guns .... I'm too deaf for good phone conversations, but if you ask specific questions on this forum, I bet that several folks will provide knowledgeable answers

Did Caswell build a smooth rifle? Did he always mark his barrels? Only the lock is marked JM Caswell on this one and appears to be a smooth rifle
As a major builder (over 20 employees for many years), Caswell's enterprise made pistols, rifles, smooth rifles, etc. He is reported to have provided locks with his stamping to other gunmakers. Typically there is a Caswell stamp of one sort or another on the barrel, but I don't know if he always did. My conservative approach is to assume your gun was made with Caswell parts unless it can be proved that his shop did the actual build

As a major builder (over 20 employees for many years), Caswell's enterprise made pistols, rifles, smooth rifles, etc. He is reported to have provided locks with his stamping to other gunmakers. Typically there is a Caswell stamp of one sort or another on the barrel, but I don't know if he always did. My conservative approach is to assume your gun was made with Caswell parts unless it can be proved that his shop did the actual build
Just bought rifle today will post latter!

Latest posts

Back