• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weirdest Animal You Ate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blizzard of 93 said:
youse guys are loco :youcrazy: all these nice fat 'possums running around and you eat such things as urchins? :haha:

Yup,
I'd say they ranked right up there with a nice green Booger. :blah:

Actually ate a lot of chipmunks during a survival week. Taste like squirrel, but there's not much meat on them.

Crow, beaver, raccoon, frogs, snake (several species), buffalo, black bear (TERRIBLE!!), duck (only slightly better than black bear, I don't know how people can eat those things! :barf: )

Also ate puffer fish a lot. When I was a kid I caught one and a guy fishing near me said they're good to eat but you have to be very careful to clean them in a very particular way. Which I did for years, until I found out that the reason WHY you have to carefully clean them a certain way is that if you don't they are likely to KILL YOU when you eat them :shocked2: ! Apparently they’re a delicacy in Japan, and several people each year die as a result of eating ones that were not cleaned properly. Never trusted myself to clean them properly after learning that. But they ARE very good tasting!

Had some dog last summer here in Korea.

The dog soup was really good but the steaks were a bit too greasy for my tastes.

Doc

I was in the USAF for 8 years as a navigator so I went to some wierd places and ate some interesting meals. Porcupine and assorted bugs in survival school, monkey and some kind of antelope in Kenya and some other meats that we never could identify. I learned quickly that if it tastes good, just say thank you and eat it!

I have heard that "If it is orange and black, don't eat it." Is it true? I know of nothing that eats lady bugs, or here in Michigan, her kin, the imported Asian Beetle. Don't vacuum them up, they'll stink up the whole house.

Doc,
I'm glad you are pleased with eating dog,
and knew you were eating it. I would like to
invite you to dinner. You can share some dog
food with my basset hound.Or take some basset food
and be basset dessert,which I would truly like
to watch.
There were times back in the mid sixtys that I ate some things,and not on any menue,that
a dog would not have ate and the thought even
gags be today. :surrender:
snake-eyes

altho i had not tried it myself, my dad had tried jerked rat, it was aparently pretty good with lots of salt.

Roasted a muskrat once, over an open fire while waiting to thaw out and check the rest of my trapline, greasy and nasty tastin, needed salt and whisky!

I ate muskrat once when I was very young, don't remember much how it tasted. My pap always said it was how the meat was handled or prepared that made it taste bad. They are a clean animal, wash what they eat, would think they would'nt taste to bad. There was an old gentleman that gathered up all the "rat" carcasses and took them to Baltimore to sell to the resturants, they had them on the menu as "marsh rabbits" :shocked2:

Lightly smoked, otherwise uncooked African elephant in Namibia last May. It was chewy, that's for certain. Our PH said he actually thought baboon was very good -- right behind gemsbok, the favorite of most Europeans there. So I shot one and he turned out to be such a gnarled old boy that we all decided to pass on trying to eat him. Besides, we had fresh gemsbok, kudu and mountain zebra schnitzel galore. In this country, sea cucumber, a large, fleshy, gelatinous marine invertebrate that tastes like the smell from under the piers in Seattle.

I guess I'll have to point out to the moderater that many of the foods that the muzzle loaders above ATE were not of animal origin and their posts should be deleted. It looked like mostly the pre-1840 guys and a couple of gnubys were the culprits. I mean if we were talking about eating worms it would be OK to bring in the bug category, but its wishful liberal thinking to count such as animals. Locusts indeed!! Disgusting as Moose berries and pasture pies. Do your duty! Wonky

Gixmo Wonky said:
I guess I'll have to point out to the moderater that many of the foods that the muzzle loaders above ATE were not of animal origin and their posts should be deleted.

I interpreted the use of the word "animal" to mean anything that was alive (non-plant). Considering the nature of this discussion, I don't think an overly strict definition is required.

OK, it's official!! You folks that like eating bugs and $%^&&** can keep on bragging about it. I was overruled HA!, LOL. I'll stick with fire roasted Buffler Hump, squirrel brains & biscuits with gravy, fried possum and NY strip steak! Wonky

horse, possum (many times... its actually good), skunk (there werent any worms in it), quite a few cats while in college, none tasted any better than the tree they were shot from, snake, beaver, muskrat (fried in flour over the camp fire and in a stew, both ways were much better than any rabbit ive ever had)lots of schnappentoitel (maybe my favorite critter, ive god a recipe if anyones interested), all the crawfish i can find, hellgrammites, lots of farm pidgeons on the grill with pepper salsa, im sure theres more, but i cant remember em all.

a friend ate the fetus from a doe he shot a coupla years ago... thats maybe even a bit out of my league :surrender:

but i cant think about eating a goose without gagging a little :barf: they taste like rotten frogs

you know you can buy muskrat in md.at several different places .it also used to sell as marsh rabbit at balto. lexington market .

I spent two tours in RVN in a border camp with Cambodian and Montagnard irregulars.

We were not considered an American unit and weren't issued grub.
Sometimes we could buy chow and have it shipped in, sometimes scrounged or traded with the air force.
Other times, especially in the field, we ate local fare.
Young dog ain't too bad. Other times it's best to choke it down and not ask, especially if you have been invited to a special occaision.
Nothing like cold chicken foot soup.
I never have missed that part of the deal.
We do consume a variety of critters here in rural Western Illinois.
I'm havin' pork chops tonight.

For me, chickidees, frog legs, limpets, mussels, beaver tail, and goat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back