• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wedge basics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for instruction on disassembly and reassembly of a cap and ball pistol. Is it normal to have to use a hammer to drive the wedge in or out? Should it be seated to the stop on reassembly? If I do that 9n my Walker, the gun won't cycle.

When mine was given to me, the wedge was a tad to narrow and would move while firing.
I bought a new one and now I have to tap it out.
Make me feel safer

... Should it be seated to the stop on reassembly? If I do that 9n my Walker, the gun won't cycle.
Sounds to me like you're driving the wedge in too far, causing the forcing cone to contact the cylinder face and lock it up. I just normally push the wedge in with thumb pressure until it stops. At this point the barrel and frame are solid (no "endshake") and the cylinder rotates freely. Needs a light tap to get it started on the way out then can be pulled all the way with fingers.

Actually, the wedge should be driven in ( I use a machinist hammer ( plastic on both ends)). Thumb pressure isn't sufficient pressure to remove all the mechanical clearances in the mating of the two assemblies.
If I use thumb pressure on my revolvers, the endshake is roughly .004" or so. Driving the wedge in (won't move anymore) results in the "predetermined" .002" or less ( my personal revolvers).
That's the difference in "myth" ( what "they say") and Colt's instructions ( the actual design).
20230921_143726.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Perfect timing ( no pun!!) / example!! (Next on the bench!).
Here's a new Uberti (never been fired) Navy with max tolerances!!!
Beautiful revolver, wedge in all the way, bottomed out against the wedge screw. Vertical play of the barrel assy. arbor is tight.

This pic is "at rest" :
20230921_145512.jpg

This pic is with barrel pulled up:
20230921_145750.jpg

Notice the space at the barrel lug/ frame.

Even with this "short arbor" situation with a "generous" wedge slot combination, it will end up with a tight wedge ( same wedge), driven in, with a .0025" -.003" endshake.

( tallk about timing!!!! 🤣)
Mike

I replace wedge thumb pressure tight followed by firm tap with resin or nylon tip hammer. To disassemble a firm tap on the right side (left if Walker) is all that is needed to dislodge. I mosty use the resin tipped hammer on right. Bought that around 50 years ago at the old Herters store in Waseca, Minn when I bought first Colt capper. I use the left one at times if right one isn't handy. The nylon tip punch I put angles on I use once in a while to remove wedge if a bit stubborn. The half clothes pin works the best and gets the most use. Requisitioned it from Mrs. Crows laundry room. Actually the one I use is trimmed down a bit (shorter). It shows alotta use but seems to be MIA at present. Final setup is around .025-.030 when wedge is set.

Attachments

• 20230921_153359.jpg
    20230921_153359.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
.... the wedge should be driven in.....Thumb pressure isn't sufficient pressure to remove all the mechanical clearances in the mating of the two assemblies.
Well, maybe along with a light tap from a mallet, if needed, to get the thing to seat, but having to hammer the dang thing in isn't the way to go. Something's not right if that's what a guy has to do. I'm sure Sam Colt didn't envision his pistol carriers to go about carrying hammers. You can do a light tap with anything that's handy. It should go in, at least most of the way, without forcing it. Forcing something to fit is never the right way to make it fit. Using the term "driven in" could easily be misinterpreted by us newbies to mean "whacking it in with a hammer until it don't go no further". If the "mechanical clearances" don't permit, then some work needs to be done to remove imperfections in those clearances, such as burrs, etc.

Last edited:
'wiscoaster'-----Believe there is alot of misinterpretation as to what someone says and how they actually physically perform a function. If I know a writer is saying 'he whacks the wedge' to seat it and know he is a responsible gun person or one says 'he hammers it in' knowing him, I don't believe they are using alot of force. I say in fact that I give the wedge a 'whack', but it is actually a firm tap. Local sayings in one region said in person to someone not of that area may give the person not from that area a moment of confusion. If you say yer going to 'run down to the grocery store', you aren't physically going to run there but its a 'saying'.
Ya persons new to Colt open top revolvers may get confused, but a responsible one I believe should have enough sense to know you don't give something like a Colt wedge the same force as you would a nail, tent stake, or other item that needs alot of force to drive it in. Don't think anyone is advocating "hammering the dang thing in", ie using alot of force. I've read where alot of open top Colt revolver shooters advocate and like just thumb pressure. Think maybe alot of those are the guys who won't/don't use the lever /rammer to seat a ball but like those contraptions to load off of the frame and want an easy takedown. Personally, I have no time for those things, but that's me, I like to load as Ol Sam designed the Colts.

Using the term "driven in" could easily be misinterpreted by us newbies to mean "whacking it in with a hammer until it don't go no further". If the "mechanical clearances" don't permit, then some work needs to be done to remove imperfections in those clearances, such as burrs, etc.

You got !! That's what the instructions say to do. It's a "fitted" fit. It's a method from the FIRST successful revolvers so, do your on thing but don't ask questions and tell those that answer you "newbies" questions that we don't know!! Have fun with your new hobby!!

BTW, I didn't say " . . . till it don't go no further" that's a little bit offensive. You "wit" me bro?

Mike

BTW, I didn't say " . . . till it don't go no further" that's a little bit offensive. You "wit" me bro?
wit you bro, and no offense, just please watch your descriptive language that might be misinterpreted by dummies to mean something not intended. :cool:

Back