• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

We Used To Be Relevant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had a subscription to a gun rag for years except the one from the NRA, of which I've been a life member since the early seventies. I did have a subscription awhile back to the Muzzleloader one but I can get it locally at a store so the subscription was dropped. Probably three or fours years worth of the Rifleman from the NRA sitting in a corner unopened because of all the advertisements and lack of what I like to read. It has really slipped in quality articles far as I'm concerned.

"Shooting Times" started out as a newspaper-type magazine like the "Shotgun News" is today but it came only once a month. "Arms and the Man" - high end mag for serious collectors of antique guns was a more focused periodical, with feature articles by very knowledgeable experts. My old "Muzzle Blasts" are fun, quite different (and less $) than today. Sure did cover more primitive topics than the others and more "how to do this" info than the others.

Regret giving away most of my gun magazine collection when we moved, but glad we kept at least some of them.

We didn’t know what we had. However I got to say every month I looked forward to Pat McManus most of all I felt I knew all his friends just by different names
I secretly thought that I was growing up to be Rancid Crabtree

I had a hard time memorizing a speech for speech class. But I could tell you almost every Pat McManus story.

I got ro meet him and get one of his books signed for my best friend at the bookstore in Cody WY back in the 80's

We didn’t know what we had. However I got to say every month I looked forward to Pat McManus most of all I felt I knew all his friends just by different names
Outdoor Life, that has always been my favorite hunting magazine growing up and my favorite part was the last page by Pat McManus. He put all those stories in a slew of paperback books, I think I still have all of them. I used to read them on the deer stand but had to stop, I was spooking to many deer from the uncontrollable laughter. Thanks reminding me.

"Buckskin Report"...ah, brings back the memories. I had a creative writing teacher in HS back in the '70s that found out I was a "buckskinner" and gave me a 2 year subscription to that magazine. Fired my imagination to no end and fueled the burn and I reckon that's one of the reasons I'm here today still shooting and collecting BP guns.
Hats off to you, McNally!

You and I both brother.

The EMF catalogs were total eye candy to me. And anything Sam Fadala wrote was absolutely a solid learning experience.
Funny, I was just going through some boxes of books and came across my 1998 EMF catalog and have been going (drooling) through it. Still had the receipt inside from ordering a 51 Navy Hartford model that I still have for $87.

I never was into modern guns but got into BP around 1979. I joined the NMLRA and subscribed to Muzzleloader and Black Powder Report. I have most of them cataloged in my basement. The quality of both Muzzle Blasts and Muzzleloader has increased dramatically in the past couple of years.

Me too. I discovered Pat McManus while taking a break in a college library in the early 70's. Found a copy of Field and Stream in the current publications section and 15 minutes later had a librarian over to tell me to shut up from laughing too loud. My wife and I have been McManus collectors every since. We have all his books, tapes, videos and a Rancid Crabtree Fly Fishing and Filosophical Society baseball cap. A sad day when he passed.

1648869593549.jpeg

Gentlemen,
I met Mr. McManus at a bookstore in Jefferson City, Missouri. He signed a copy of "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They" for me. Sadly, I don't have the book anymore. I used to read the Last Laugh in OutdoorLife and only one or two other things. He was very funny.
When I was 16 or 17, I ordered (or my father did for me) my first BP revolvers- a Remington and brass framed '51. That has been about 37 years ago....
It was out of the Shotgun News. It is pretty sad the way things are today. I can still dream though....
David

He was cooking and I read it out loud to him on my Kindle and he was was crying it was so funny. Could be a family culture thing though. We read things to each other. And if we really love something, we’ll memorize and recite it. My pop does Casey At The Bat. Love it. I do Kubla Kahn by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
I'm impressed.....really!

Yea, we used to be now everyone wants to talk about guns that shoot fast a lot of times like this thread has evolved to.

Troopie standing on the left holding the folded Map has a wood stocked FN (common in the Aust Army as well) left Troopie kneeling (brown felt hat) and second from right standing reaching into his breast shirt pocket are both Forward Scouts routinely armed with semi Auto 12 Gauge Shotguns. We carried Handguns as well if we wanted to.

Back