• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

We Used To Be Relevant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Digging out stuff packed away 18 years ago, I came across some "Guns" magazines from the 70's. Old timers will remember the monthly fun when such arrived in their mailbox. March 1972 - "Shooting Black Powder Shotguns", "Replica Arms 1862 Police Revolver", "Indian Trade Guns", writers like Col. Charles Askens, James Serven. April 1976 - George Nonte - "Shooting the Kentucky Pistol", B,R, Hughes - "Selecting That First Blackpowder Rifle", Eileen Silva's monthly column - "Cap and Flint", J.B. Wood - "Thompson Center's Renegade Rifle", Jack Van Haus - "How Good are The Replicas ?", etc.

Full page ads of muzzleloading guns, etc. from long - gone companies (a few still around) depicting $54.90 steel frame dragoons, $109 confederate Carbines, $45.00 Kentucky pistols, Cased Sheriff's model .36 for $37.90. etc. etc.

Writers were known for their expertise, no "B.S.", excellent command of the written English Language. Editors didn't print stupid childish articles and what you read was worth your time. Contrast yesteryear's firearms magazines/books with today's limitless internet drivel and also the firearms publications on the racks at Wal-mart. Glad I kept some of these, hope you did, too.

Digging out stuff packed away 18 years ago, I came across some "Guns" magazines from the 70's. Old timers will remember the monthly fun when such arrived in their mailbox. March 1972 - "Shooting Black Powder Shotguns", "Replica Arms 1862 Police Revolver", "Indian Trade Guns", writers like Col. Charles Askens, James Serven. April 1976 - George Nonte - "Shooting the Kentucky Pistol", B,R, Hughes - "Selecting That First Blackpowder Rifle", Eileen Silva's monthly column - "Cap and Flint", J.B. Wood - "Thompson Center's Renegade Rifle", Jack Van Haus - "How Good are The Replicas ?", etc.

Full page ads of muzzleloading guns, etc. from long - gone companies (a few still around) depicting $54.90 steel frame dragoons, $109 confederate Carbines, $45.00 Kentucky pistols, Cased Sheriff's model .36 for $37.90. etc. etc.

Writers were known for their expertise, no "B.S.", excellent command of the written English Language. Editors didn't print stupid childish articles and what you read was worth your time. Contrast yesteryear's firearms magazines/books with today's limitless internet drivel and also the firearms publications on the racks at Wal-mart. Glad I kept some of these, hope you did, too.
Back then they even used real cameras.

Many old-timers had our favorite authors and magazines kept them as contributors for years. Several published hard-cover books. "Classics" is the term, I think. Reviews by those writers weren't "bought off" semi-advertisements for manufacturers as is common today. Fun stuff.

Younger guys may wonder why we didn't buy more of those $84.90 zouave rifles and $60.00 cased revolver sets. Back then, some of us weren't making $3.00 an hour. Still, we had a lot of fun.

I've been subscribing to almost every gun mag in print for close to 50 years. "Guns" was and still is a good one. I would need a railroad car to store all of them! But I clip and save articles that will prove helpful. There was a (now gone) gun writer from S. Africa, Jan- something, who took fellow writers to task for their writing; not all are/were excellent. Ex.; calling all books "tomes", etc. But you are right, and you post brought back some memories! Thanks.

The printed word is a dying market. Everyone wants free information online now. Magazines that used to be able to pay good money are lucky to stay afloat. Look how many publications have gone the way of the dodo since everything has gone digital. I know a few professional photographers. They used to make $80,000 a year selling their photos to magazines. Now that everyone has a camera on their phone, everyone is clicking away, and most are willing to give their photos away just to get their name in print.
I know writers as well. Gone are the days of making a liveable wage writing, unless you are very lucky. Most freelance writers make a penny to ten cents a word. On rare occasions, they get more. Most of the time they get the bottom end. How many of you would work for five to ten dollars an hour? That's what they get.

I've been subscribing to almost every gun mag in print for close to 50 years. "Guns" was and still is a good one. I would need a railroad car to store all of them! But I clip and save articles that will prove helpful. There was a (now gone) gun writer from S. Africa, Jan- something, who took fellow writers to task for their writing; not all are/were excellent. Ex.; calling all books "tomes", etc. But you are right, and you post brought back some memories! Thanks.
Was it this guy, Jan Libourel ? Guys like Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Conner, Major Charles Askins, and George Nonte to name a few left big shoes to fill.

Writers were known for their expertise, no "B.S.", ...
Excuse me, but I was there in the 70s. Was even an NRA member then. Those reviews in magazines like "Guns" and "G&A" were often weighted in favor of the manufacturers who were paying for the ads in the magazines. A lot of them were excellent and by superb shooters and authors. But a lot of them were not. It's why I stopped reading those mags after a while.

Now "Shotgun News" was another deal entirely. 😂 😂

Was it this guy, Jan Libourel ? Guys like Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Conner, Major Charles Askins, and George Nonte to name a few left big shoes to fill.
We didn’t know what we had. However I got to say every month I looked forward to Pat McManus most of all I felt I knew all his friends just by different names
I secretly thought that I was growing up to be Rancid Crabtree

We didn’t know what we had. However I got to say every month I looked forward to Pat McManus most of all I felt I knew all his friends just by different names
I secretly thought that I was growing up to be Rancid Crabtree
How about when he was working on a scuba suit and had Wretch Sweeney test it out scaring the manure out of a cow trying to get a drink. I thought it was so funny, I read it to my pop and had him crying while we sat around the campfire.

Hard to read them out loud
He was cooking and I read it out loud to him on my Kindle and he was was crying it was so funny. Could be a family culture thing though. We read things to each other. And if we really love something, we’ll memorize and recite it. My pop does Casey At The Bat. Love it. I do Kubla Kahn by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

I've still got 15 issues of the original Buckskinner Report back in the 1970's, they were popular here in Australia, the enthusiasm and "shine" comes through on every page and full of commercial ads of good quality everything.
Frankly I cherish having them.

Except for a very few magazines like "MUZZLELOADERS" there are no articles anyway, just page after page of advertising from pills, depends, and everything else non gun related AND they want to charge you $7 or more for the sake of looking at the adds. Sad sad day's.

I restarted my subscription to Muzzleloader magazine last year after over 20 years of going without it.
Sure its expensive to import here but hey there's no other substitute nowadays.

his name was Jan Libourel. he had a Phd from oxford and fought the communists in SA

He was cooking and I read it out loud to him on my Kindle and he was was crying it was so funny. Could be a family culture thing though. We read things to each other. And if we really love something, we’ll memorize and recite it. My pop does Casey At The Bat. Love it. I do Kubla Kahn by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Monologues used to be a staple of stage artistes in many countries.

"Buckskin Report"...ah, brings back the memories. I had a creative writing teacher in HS back in the '70s that found out I was a "buckskinner" and gave me a 2 year subscription to that magazine. Fired my imagination to no end and fueled the burn and I reckon that's one of the reasons I'm here today still shooting and collecting BP guns.
Hats off to you, McNally!

Latest posts

Back