• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Was barrel browning an applied finish ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Was browning a barrel an applied finish to a newly built rifle, or was it just the result of a natural rusting process due to use and weather over time ? If it was an applied finish to a newly built rifle, when did this become a common practice ? When did bluing begin to replace browning ? Just curious . -Thanks

Opinions vary but ....what little I know for sure. My thing is NW trade guns so ..... First, yes, browning was an applied finish . In HBCo records say yo have brown stocks and brown the barrels , thats in 1780 . Later , 1810 I believe , they ask for half the order to have brown barrels , the other half blued barrels . These were cheap firearms do this shows when the process of bluing became cheaper .... Many times you'll see rust browning that has taken over the original finish but that can be hard to ascertain at times .

I’m sure others that have more knowledge will chime in, but to the best of my knowledge, blueing, fire blueing came first. I’ve heard that examples of browning were used in the 18th century but it’s usually more associated with the 19th century. I don’t know what chemicals were used for early browning but I have read that the barrel would be left outside and urinated on daily until the desired affect was achieved. And during the use of browning and blueing many guns had the metal left in the white.

Back