• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walnut Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GobblerKnob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished this rifle. It has a 42" "B" weight Colerain barrel seated in what I thought was a pretty unremarkable piece of walnut. I stained it with red mahogany stain from Minwax and was very pleasantly surprised with the how it turned out. I sealed the pores with permalyn and topped it off with several coats of Johnson's paste wax.

The barrel and lock are finished with 44/40 gun blue, the furniture aged with Brass Black, then wooled back to the patina you see here. While it's hard to tell, the trigger and screw heads are fire blued. Rick

DSC_0811New.jpg

DSC_0806New.jpg

DSC_0816New.jpg

Thanks for the pictures and details. The left side of the stock is unremarkable, so you weren't wrong. It almost could be mahogany, the way it looks. The right side, however, has some nice grain to it, and I can understand why you are so proud of the stock, now.

BTW: If you were to bone( burnish) that surface, I suspect you might raise some fiddleback, to make it even more interesting.

Nice piece of wood, and a great job on bringing out the grain. :thumbsup:
"Never test the depth of the water with both feet"

Super job :bow: ! You just did a great job and should be mighty proud. I agree 100% with paulvallandigham regarding burnishing the wood, burnishing will bring out the grain and give it a nice waxy feel. :thumbsup:

What an interesting piece.
What cal is it? What style would you call it?
Thats a siler lock, could be a early lancaster trigger guard.
Nice combination of germanic and american features.
You are thinking out side of the box..
SHAME ON YOU. :hatsoff:

Very nice job. By the way, I don't know if you mentioned it, but what kind of walnut did you use?

Me like :thumbsup: The only thin I would change and it is a personal feeling only .I would have browned the barrel. I do have to say the Blue looks very nice also and it all sets off nice. Now dose it make smoke and holes in targets as good as it looks

Thank you for your observations. The lock is, indeed, a large Siler. The trigger guard and buttplate are both Golden Age Lancaster School. What style would I call it? Contemporary. While I really enjoy those guns coming from the Lancaster and York schools, I really don't try to copy any one gun in particular when I start out. I don't work off a blueprint. I just start with a plank and try to remove everything that isn't a rifle stock!

This one is a .50 caliber. Rick

Back