• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walker problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brstevns

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Walker that was imported by Replica Arms . The problems is when the hammer falls it hits the edge of the cylinder by the nipple. It seems to only do this on 2 of the chambers. What is the cause and is there a remedy?

Please give a little more info. Hitting on the side of the cylinder...right or left, or bottom toward arbor? Checked the tightness/looseness of the nipples? Did you have caps on? Any sideways/up/down 'slop' of the cylinder on the arbor? Leaving any bolt 'tracks'...ring on the cylinder?

When it hits, have you tried grasping the cylinder and seeing if it will rotate or is securely locked?
I had a '58 Remmy that would do that right out of the box......I returned it for an exchange.

With the gun unloaded, wrap a piece of masking tape around the back half of the cylinders outside making sure that the tape does not cover any of the small notches. This tape will be used to mark the chambers that have a problem.

Then, fully cock the hammer slowly. Then, without touching the cylinder slowly lower the hammer noting if it hits the side of the notch by the nipple. You may want to mark the chambers that the hammer interferes with.

Repeat this with each chamber.

After doing this, fully cock the hammer slowly and then try to rotate the cylinder with your hand to verify that the cylinder bolt (stop) has engaged the notch in the bottom of the cylinder.
Following this, slowly lower the hammer to the fired position.

Repeat this with all 6 chambers noting any that are not "locked up" by the cylinder bolt.

Repeat this several times.

If the cylinder bolt is engaging the cylinder notch and locking up the cylinder for each chamber (it won't rotate by hand) and the hammer is hitting the side of one or more of the slots by the nipples on some of the chambers it indicates the lock bolt notch's were machined incorrectly.
About the only "fix" for this that I know of is to file away the offending material from the nipple slot and to reblue with a Cold Bluing.

If the cylinder bolt is not engaging the cylinder notch at one or more of the chambers and rotating the cylinder by hand until the cylinder bolt engages the notches and, when the locked up cylinder does NOT have a problem with the hammer hitting the slot for the nipple, the "hand" is probably worn and should be replaced.

I've seen quite a few Colts that wouldn't lock up the cylinder when they were cocked slowly but cocking the hammer fast seemed to fix the problem. That is, when fast cocking the hammer rotated the cylinder rapidly the cylinder would rotate on its own far enough for the cylinder bolt to engage the notch's without help from the shooter.

If this "rapid cocking" seems to fix the problem you can make a mental note to yourself and just use that method of cocking the gun rather than replacing the "hand".

Latest posts

Back