• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Alvah

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that a cap and ball handgun using a cast conical does not require a wad over the powder, while one using a round ball does?

No.

The wad has three functions: provide lubrication that keeps fouling soft, provide additional insurance against chain fires (additional in that a properly fitting ball/conical is the primary insurance) and provide a semi-functional gas check.

None of those are specific to the type of projectile in the chamber.

Thank you.

So then, is the wad optional to some degree, or does the chain fire "insurance" maybe make it a requirement?
My only cap and ball was an Old Army, but, correct or not, I never used wads, just Crisco on the tops of the conical.

From all the reading and discussions I have done the way I understand this is that in the old days Wads where not used. They are mostly for taking up space so that you can get a good pack on the powder. Also as far as chain fires those are mostly from poor fitting caps or undersized balls. The caps fall off you fire one chamber and the chamber with the missing cap fires also (and ruins your day) for undersized balls or bullets fire gets past it and you get a fizzle and a white barrel. Not normally an explosion but do not count on it. So a greased wad and Crisco will not hurt at all and they help keep the fouling soft. The biggest thing is to use good and correct fitting caps.
hope this helps and sorry if it got a bit long winded. :)

Hawk nailed it. a felt tightens up my groups a bit so I use them target shooting.
good fit of cap is very important
4420close20up.jpg

here's a night shot of a '51 Colt .44 (not hc I know but that's what my nephew shoots)
can easily see where fire can flash over.

Uncle Alvah said:
Thank you.

So then, is the wad optional to some degree, or does the chain fire "insurance" maybe make it a requirement?
My only cap and ball was an Old Army, but, correct or not, I never used wads, just Crisco on the tops of the conical.
Wads are optional if chain firing protection was the only criterion; proper fitting caps and projectiles are the main ingredients of chain fire prevention.

IMHO lubed felt wads are way better than the grease plug in the chamber mouth for softening fouling.

My Walker takes a pretty hefty load and I can go through a can of powder in no time. Whether shooting RB or bullets, I find a wad much easier to work with than, say, cornmeal, to fill the space for a smaller charge and still get consistent seating of the round in the cylinder.

BTW -- that night shot of a chain fire is pretty darned impressive. Sorta puts in perspective the need for making sure the balls are right and the caps are tight.

Any time you fire lead bullets some form of lubrication is needed to help prevent lead sticking to the bore. If the conical has grooves filled with lube you won't need any additional but most of the conicals for revolvers do not have lube grooves and so will need lube smeared over the bullet or a grease wad under it.

Blizzard of 93 said:
Hawk nailed it. a felt tightens up my groups a bit so I use them target shooting.
good fit of cap is very important
4420close20up.jpg

here's a night shot of a '51 Colt .44 (not hc I know but that's what my nephew shoots)
can easily see where fire can flash over.

This isn't a chain fire is it? It appears to be a night time shot. It also appears that the hammer was pushed back by when the revolver discharged and blew the cap off the nipple.

LUBE GROOVES

Colt recognized the importance of lube by the 1840's. The first Colt conical molds had no groove, that progressed to a single groove, then a double groove in the 1850's on the Dragoon revolvers.

mykeal said:
Uncle Alvah said:
Thank you.

Wads are optional if chain firing protection was the only criterion; proper fitting caps and projectiles are the main ingredients of chain fire prevention.

IMHO lubed felt wads are way better than the grease plug in the chamber mouth for softening fouling.

I agree wads are very good for that and also to fill space. I also use the crisco. just overkill I guess but it works for me.
also I belive that the night shot was not a chain fire. but I would guess it was a heavy load by looking at the hammer kickback. :shocked2: :thumbsup:

Back