• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

W M Large Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmck

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi
I have a muzzleloader that I got from my father's estate. It has W M Large on the barrel & a plate on the side that says Rex Yazel - 1962, which I think is a previous owner. Kind of trying to find out a value, and whether or not it's ok to continue to fire the gun. I shot it one day, 4 times and I had hoped to use it this summer.
Thanks
Justy

Bill Large made some of the finest muzzleloader barrels ever. If the gun was properly assembled & maintained, it should provide years of trouble free service.

Good hunting!

Welcome, pilgrim!

Can you tell us what style of muzzleloader you have? Civil War or otherwise? Can you describe it at all? Possibly post a photo or two? Then likely someone here could identify it for you. Thanks.

Bill Large was one of the founding members of the NMRLA back in 1933. He continued to build barrels well into the 1970s or 80s. His barrels were sought after by shooters all over the country. If the gun has been well maintained, you have a true prize, and a very accurate barrel. Treat it right. :thumbsup:

Ditto, if you don't know how to clean that weapon do a search here on the forum. All you really need is water, dish soap some patches and then dry patch and oil.

If you have a valuable gun take care of it, but don't let it sit without cleaning, it will lose value fast if the barrel gets pitted.

Back in the '70s, I tried to get a Bill Large barrel....HAH! He was back ordered a LOOOONG time.

He was back ordered from the late 1920's to the day he died!! :rotf: I wanted one bad in the 1980's, but he died before I could get one. He was quite a character , but him and his generation revived ML shooting from the dead. I'm sure it wouldn't be where it is today with so many manufacturers to choose from if guys like him hadn't come along when they did.

I have built 3 guns using Bill's bbls.and they all shoot better that I,also have 2 more to build something with.

I have heard many good things of bill larges rifles and barrels. Is this flint or percussion? You should have a shooter. I picked up a bench rifle barrel with a false muzzle last summer. Why I don't know. I guess because it had W M large on it. ha ha

I remember when Bill (Swift Water) Fuller in Alaska used only Bill Large barrels for his Hawkens. Fuller said he liked the quality, but he often got what he did not order. If he requested a .58, he might get a .54 and after inquiring why? Bill Large's crusty reply dissuaded him from ever asking again. :grin:

My Fuller Hawken I bought in 1973 had a Bill Large barrel, it was and is still a great shooter.

Hawken.jpg

Latest posts

Back