• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vises

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too use a use a pattern maker's vise on one bench and a 6" metal vise on the other bench (with many different soft jaws), but here's an option until you locate one for building:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/kibler-‘counter-top’-build-….148087/

i have three bench vises. (not to be confused with vices:D)
the big one has plywood covered with thick leather jaws that are attached with leather belts so they can be swiveled out of the way if needed.
the green vise has walnut jaw pads covered with 3/8 inch felt. sure grip without marring soft surfaces.
red one has leather jaws for no marring .
i have the big blue and the pattern makers vise set so i can grip both ends of a stock.

Attachments

• 20240105_130439.jpg
    20240105_130439.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240105_130450.jpg
    20240105_130450.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240105_130350.jpg
    20240105_130350.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240105_130428.jpg
    20240105_130428.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Appreciate all the replies. This helped me a lot. I like the post with the creative way to use clamps. I have several bench vises and was thinking I could fabricate some wooden jaws for. I will look into the pattern makers vise.

Curious to know what folks are using for gun vises in their shops.
My main vice is similar to this 4"one. I have three Jorgensen clamps. These Jorgensen's, one or two at at time will sit either on the bench or be clamped in the red vice to give me the the area I want to work on in the position needed. When the Jorgensens are on the bench the Irwin clamp holds the Jorgensen/Jorgensens down. Many times my long guns are upside down with the barrel hard down on the bench. Makes for solid working.
Larry

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 3.49.41 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 3.47.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 3.57.17 PM.png

Vises? Sex, Drug and Rock and Roll. Oh wait a minute, I thought you were talking about...... :oops:
How bout Wine, Women and song? Guess that won't work either? Never mind.
What ever VISE you get, make sure it has padded jaws. Nice sharp teeth are hell on a barrel or stock finish. Ask me how I know. :(:(

I just have a regular bench-mounted vise for which I fabricated leather-padded insert blocks for holding items I didn't want marred by the vise jaws:
kibler_9.png

I really don't see a need to get too fancy and spend a lot of money.

For those using leather. I assume you are using your vise to hold wood? Doing the lock work and metal I have found bronze to be much superior than lead and simply insert leather should I need to hold something softer.

Have a 5" regular heavy vise w/ .090 thick removable brass plates on my bench , to hold barrels , etc.. Have a 4" clampon vise to hold smaller stuff like lock plates , etc.. 2" clampon vise for small things , and tumbler to hammer assembly. I've used a Stanely Workmate wood jaw vise/work table for 50+ yrs. to hold rifles between thin carpeted jaws for no mar ease. It's fast , and I prefer to sit down on a swivel chair while I work. For engraving , I have a simple work bench , carpeted , using 3 each , 25 lb. shot bags to hold rifles in any position quickly .. I like simple and quick. This next one will get groans........Side of the Workmate bench has 4 dremel type tools plugged in and hanging , with different bits , ready for use. Surrounding me are 2 , 1' by42 belt sanders one coarse belt , and one 600 grit. 2 grinders , one 2 ended buffer , one 4" by 36" belt sander. All this repetition because I'm lazy , I hate changing bits , and sanding belts. I know what I want to do , and don't like to waste time retooling.

For my barrels, I use a large ancient vise and a pair of the aluminum barrel clamps from Rice.

The one that gets the most use is a little 2.5" Prairie. It clamps to the workbench top. Found it on the fleaBay for the sum of 17 dollhairs. It has a small flat working spot and a tiny anvil horn. Works great for lock parts, sights, and other tiny pieces.
6AB24D3F-7ADC-47A2-AC7F-07B76BCD41EC.jpegEE615EE5-7D8A-435F-8F1D-01B58EBB746C.jpeg6098940A-88EA-41D3-98C9-9F4B610B5F0A.jpeg15F149BA-253F-4CDF-8EA8-BE36DF790679.jpeg

I have yet to venture into the woodworking side of this, so nothing to clamp wood, yet.

Thanks for giving us a chance to show off our vises.

#1: Starrett vise I bought in the late 70's. Used this for a lot of gun work in the past but it is now on my jewelry/generic bench, #2 is locked in the Starrett, it is an old mini vise I bought when I was a teen, it is clamped onto a piece of Madagascar Rosewood. This is my main jewelry/precious metal vise. The rosewood is my bench pin for sawing precious metal on.

#2: View of the mini and rosewood bench pin.

#3: is my main gun working vise. Rubber jaw liners have been cut from large truck mud flaps...if I recall correctly. Had this vise for probably 15 years.

#4: my latest acquisition, a Simplex/Gray that I picked up in a local auction. From my research it was made in the late 20s. Paid less than $100 for this beauty. Not used much yet but a sweet vise nonetheless.
tempImageQ2Ty2o.png
tempImageuCaQkQ.png
tempImageSWuCkA.png
tempImageqISa5e.png

I have an earlier, cheaper version of this bench: 60 in., Three Drawer Hardwood Workbench. Mine only has one drawer but has an additional vice mounted on the front left in addition to the one on the end. I usually clamp the gun butt in the front mounted vice and the barrel goes over a 2X board clamped in the end vice. Works well for cleaning anyway.

Mine is closer to the adult version of this one: Sjobergs Junior and Senior 35 in. Workbench with 2 Trestles SJO-33365 - The Home Depot. It is not as sturdy and was a heck of a lot cheaper back in the day.

Latest posts

Back