• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

vinager stain............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of something in the 10% ~ 20% strength. Not the 50% ~ 100% stuff.

How much metal can 5% acetic acid disolve?

Bennypapa

looks like my metal in the jars are bout 70%
gone depends how much it was rusted before it went in........bob

Bennypapa-

I just poured about four ounces of fresh household vinegar into a small jar, added a single old fashioned decorator's iron nail (the kind with the giant head) and the solution turned brown and useable in about ten days. Brushed it on- made the wood look dirty- then dried it with a heat gun and it turned tan. Two more applications later and it was brown.

Clay
San Jose CA

That is what I expected.
I have a small test going on some plain maple.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Dumb questions
But do you keep the lid on
and do ya need to cut the metal up
and have ya tried copper
Just put 3 jars of applecider viniger aside
1 with copper rings
1 withe assorted screws
1 with wire wool
want to see what happens in 10 or so days
Thanks for the info

squares of an old t shirt held on by rubber bands to let the build up of gases from the acid eating the metal to escape....or ya could have a small bursting problem with yer jars if they are glass....make sure the metal is rusted before ya put it in the jars............bob

longhair said:
Thanks guys.I got a rifle comming and want to try this out :thumbsup:

I'm with you on that. I have several batches brewin' too. This has been an informational thread. Thanks everyone! :)

Back