• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Video of my Loading Technique

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tward2

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently completed a Traditions Hawken .50, my first black powder rifle. I've been experimenting with different loads, projectiles, etc... and have devised my own loading method. Sure, it isn't 100% "traditional" in that it uses speedloaders but it is what I like at the moment. I'm still sighting her in and show two different groups with two different powder loads at the end. It's about 5min long.

I made this for my friends and family because the rifle generated a lot of interest among them. Would love to get feedback from this community too.

Here's the link http://youtu.be/Ipwc3duVBas

Thanks for the video...nice shoot'n off hand and all...looks like you might have some jackrabbit hunt'n in your future! You shoot'n black powder or a subsitute? :v

I'm shooting 777, but I'm almost out so I'm willing to experiment with something else if you have a recommendation! Goex seems like a pain in the ass to purchase.

Also, I scared up a jackrabbit in the very spot that this video was shot just a few weeks ago :)

not a bad video. When I shoot I only use the 0.15th inch patch instead of the thicker ones. The only one reason is when the the thin patches are lubed up, they go down with one smooth push of the ram rod.

I don't know if there is a real differences in power or accuracy, but that's what I use for targets.. I think I would use the thicker patches for hunter, because there might be more power in the shots.

Again Great video, not at all complaining. I have the same rifle, and it shoots like a dream. :thumbsup:

Thanks Kentucky. I was using .10 non pillow ticking patches then I switched to .18 pillow ticking. As you saw in the video, you really have to ram these things in. I'm always up for experimenting though...that's the cool thing about these guns. I was born and raised in Houston but been out here for the past 7 years. I'll be moving back this summer and could end up in Denton which isn't too far from you.

Cool I use to live in Houston when I was 5 and 6 years old. And I do know some people from where you are living right not now. :v

I wounder if there's any real differences in the patch thickness, for as speed and ac

I still have my .10 patches, maybe next weekend I'll do another video and shoot a .10 patch group and a .18 patch group.

A couple things about Traditions Barrels (at least the Hawken Barrel). It has fairly deep rifling so the thicker patches seem to work better, .015-.018. The second thing is that the barrels are rifled from the breech end and intentionally left a little tighter at the muzzle end. So they tend to be harder to start a ball and patch combo, some maxi balls are near impossible to get past the muzzle.

Thanks Ghetto! As you saw in the video, the .18 pillow ticking gets a little ridiculous to ram down the barrel. I find it has this issue all the way down. So, I'm gonna try the .15, maybe this coming weekend.

That's what I use. 0.15 is way easier when lubed.

I still don't know if your speed and muzzle energy increases with the thicker patches, but when it comes to being able to load your gun without the risk of breaking your ram rod or punching holes through your hands thinner is better for the Hawkins.

Since you asked for comment, I will oblige. I would not ram a ball down a barrel like you do in the video. Doing so will someday will get you hurt. You ram a ball down the barrel by holdind the ramrod 3 to 4 inches above the muzzle and making short strokes. Not a foot at a time. Doing otherwise will break a ramrod and cause the broken piece still in the barrel to go through your hand. And don’t think that by using a fiberglass rod you are safe from that happening. I would not show this video to novices or anyone interested in muzzleloading. You are just promoting an unsafe practice.

Started out with the same rifle. We all got too learn.

It is good advice on the ramrod though. Short start it and then with the ramrod, do a hand over hand routine, (walk it down)!
That way you don't have the side spring in the rod. If the rod snaps it will more than likely go thru your hand if you have such a high grip, like you were doing in the video!

You were talking about the variables and there are a lot in this game. With my rifle I couldn't get consistency like I was looking for with a sub. When I went 2F Geox I started getting what I was looking for. But lube, wiping practices, grains of powder, etc.etc. all will change POI.

When you change anything change one thing at a time. Shoot at least 5-6 shots to see what that change actually did. Once you see that it has either improved or made the accuracy worse. Then you are either ready to make more of a change or head in another direction.

From real black I went to work on lube. When I found one I liked I went to work on patch, and from there I went to grains for a load!

When I got her all dialed in then I know if I ain't hitting, its not the rifle it's me!!!

Thanks guys! All good comments. Yeah, that one ram I did grab high and it notably bent the ramrod, good catch. I'm teaching myself so mistakes are inevitable!

That happens at the range all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've been at the range with a long steel range rod, handed it to someone, and they want to grab the handle WAY up there.

Nice video makes one wonder why anyone would want to shoot a cartridge gun. LOL Powder burner is correct about grabbing too high on the ramrod. The other thing that scared me was when you placed your palm over the end of the ramrod to get the ball to seat. NEVER EVER EVER PLACE A SOLID PART OF YOUR ANATOMY OVER A LOADED BARREL. If that gun would fire the ball and ramrod would go through your hand. Always hold the rod from the sides when pushing it down.

Guess that proves that all the guys using short starters really are WRONG, huh?

It wasn't like the guy stuck his finger down the barrel.....

Powder: As other's have said, from what I saw in that video you'd probably end up with a broken ramrod through the hand from grabbing it so high before one was shot through it. Good job and thanks for sharing it with us!

I have to agree
great video though, I have the same gun, just mine is a flintlock, but I always swab my barrel between shots, u just never know if there is still hot embers down there,
an old timer that taught me how to shoot in the sport knows someone who got badly injured by not swabbing its now second nature for me

Good video. Nice job on your first build. Not bad shooting given the wind that I could hear in the video and the fact that you weren't shooting from a sandbag rest. Since you are getting started in muzzleloading, let me give you a bit of extremely valuable information. Go to Dutch Schoultz' website http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/ and order a copy of his "Black Powder Rifle Accuracy System". It is the best bargain you can get for muzzleloading at only $20. If you thoroughly read and re-read it and then do exactly as he tells you, you will have your rifle cutting Xs. It takes a bit of shooting to get it tuned in but just follow what Dutch tells you and you will have it dialed in in a much shorter time than if you just go at it with a less systematic method than he gives you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back