• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vice Padding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What are you folks using to pad the jaws of your vices? I've tried to locate some leather and all I can find is really thin stuff at the fabric store. I saw a picture on here of someone's vice and the leather was so thick it looked like a piece of rhinosorus hide. Where do you get that stuff or are there other options?

If you cant locate a leather retailer near you, You can get a set of leather jaw liners from midwayusa.

I used a section from an old, 2" wide uniform belt. I attached it to the jaws with liquid nails. I also use two blocks of oak that span the width of the jaws. This set-up has worked well for me the past 10 years. Rick

I found some thick leather at the flea market. Got about 1 1/2 to 2 square feet for about $8.

I use some pieces of heavy tooling leather. You can get them at Tandy's. For metal I use some sheet aluminum I picked up somewhere.

"Soft Jaws" are made from Brass, Aluminum, Copper, etec. And from heavy skirting leather. Haunt the junk yards for the metal, and flea markets for the leather. If you have any kind of leather shop around, or harness shop, that caters to the horse owners, you can usually find scraps of heavy leather there. Talk to stable owners, as to where they get their leather gear. I am near some Amish wagon builders, and I can always find heavy leather skirting at those shops. We used to have a Tandy Leather store here, but it closed and the closest one is now in Springfield, Illinois. That is 90 miles from here, but if I have to go to the State Capitol for another reason, I stop at Tandy's and stock up on what I need. Check the Tandy website to locate an outlet nearest to you.

There was a time when older industries still used long heavy leather belts to drive their machines. My father got some ends cut off the belts when they were fitted to the equipment out of the scrapheap, before they were thrown out as garbage, and we used that leather for projects for years.

And, there are mail order leather companies, where you can order any thickness of leather you want. I bought a bag of leather scraps from one such outfit for a few dollars and still have odds and ends to use for small projects.

Hint: For those looking for thin leather to use to wrap their flints, check out the Goodwill and Salvation army stores for old men's shoes. The tongues from the shoes, or even old wallets(purses) are perfect for this kind of thing, and will only set you back a dollar or less.

Ahh. Horse stuff. Should have thunk of that. We've got plenty of horses around here. I'll find a tack shop and check midway. Thanks for all the suggestions.

A piece of 9-10 oz Latigo leather works really wellon the big vice.. It is tough & the piece on that vice has been on there I know for 5-6 years...... I also use a piece of leather on the vice that I have with the teflon inserts as well, as it pads a sanded stock better & less chance of a mar after it is sanded.

I use leather and wood blocks depending on the part I want to hold. I also use a very dense peel-and-stick back foam on the vise jaws and have a heavy felt of the same design. Both have worked very well. I just split the piece (these are sold in 2 packs about 5" x 5" in size)and aline with the vise jaws and close after removing the backing. I then trim with an exacto knife to match the vise top and sides.

With leather pieces I have "crazy glued" them on the vise face It gives a tight hold that can be removed with a sharp pry bar as the glue does not really bond tight to the metal jaws. Trim as above.

I also have various pieces of wood and leather I use to cover the vise screw housing in case a part slips from the jaws...These vary in width to accomadate the item in the jaws. Saw this on a Linton McKenzie vhs some years back.

This is the best set-up I have used so far. I cut 1" poplar so it would fit over the center rail on my vise and padded it with leather. Lots of working room and stays in place when the vise jaws are open.

newvisejaws.jpg

A friend had given it to me and I cannot remember for sure. My thinking is Home Depot or Menards.

Well I spent about 30 mins. checking these sources and Woodcraft and found a good price at McMaster Carr. Part Number: 8353K12. A 12 x 12 of the felt is $5.12 and the foam Part Number: 8463K422 at $6.75 is as close as I could come up with. If I find the exact place (my friend is out shoveling snow now so I cannot ask him) I will post.

3/4 inch cork sheeting...for wood,antler and horn
work anyway...it actually forms around the stuff clamped in the vice to some degree and holds really well on oddly shaped materials, and is excellent on wood...for metal work, I use thick leather...or even a few wraps of leather salvaged from worn out work gloves...( worn out by clamping them in the vice to hold stuff.)
TCA

Many local hardware stores sell what is called a "Farmer's Bundle", which is a roll that contain many random pieces of thick leather for a few dollars.

Capt.Fred
I asked my friend about the pads and he did not have a clue where they had come from??? Sorry for the dead end, but McM's will work well for you...

Back