• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Very old bees wax.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found an old can tucked on top of a beam in what was a stanchion-type milking parlor about a hundred years ago. The letters B WAX were scrawled on it and I assume it is beeswax because thatis what it looks like but it is hard as a rock. My pocket knife can pry chips off of it but it seems harder than old candle wax. I haven't tried melting it as yet but does anyone have experience with stuff like this!

How do you know how old those bees were?! :D

I'm with @Ames on this - it should be fine; melt up some & see how it smells & beehaves. Of course, if it's a commercial product (what does the can look like?), it may not be pure beeswax. Many commercial waxes are blends or have additives to make them easier for a consumer to use for the intended application, be it car wax, furniture wax, bowling alley lane wax, etc.

There might be some info on it online if it is a store-bought product.

Interesting thing to experiment with! Recall they've found honey in ancient Egyptian tombs, although I'd not want to heat and pour over pancakes! Finding something old in an old barn like this (or even a muzzleloader!) is something rare nowadays. Thanks.

I spoke to a retired farmer in his 90's about this beeswax and he said that the old stanchions that hinged at the bottom and locked at the top needed occasional lubricating and a dab of beeswax on the latch made it work fine for quite a while. This makes sense in relation to where I foud it. Thanks for all your responses! I'll try melting some outdoors when spring finally gets here!

I know I have some that is well over 30 years old, I have had it for that long and it was old when I got it. It is still awesome, also the older it is the less chemicals ( pesticides medications exc.) It will have in it.

Back