• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

VERY IMPORTANT LARGE BOWIE KNIFE BY BRADFORD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I found this 'VERY IMPORTANT LARGE BOWIE KNIFE BY BRADFORD' at an auction.
14” spear point blade with 4” sharpened false edge. The blade is 1-7/8” wide and over 1/4” thick at the ricasso. Marked “M.L. BRADFORD & CO.” in a circle around “BOSTON” on the left ricasso. The iron crossguard is 4” long and 1-1/4” wide. The hilt is a stag antler and is 5-3/4” long. The leather scabbard has a brass throat and was made without tip. There are rolled lines down each edge on both sides of the scabbard. CONDITION: Fine
58186.jpg

58186a.jpg

Price:$40,000-$60,000 :shocked2:

My question: What makes this Bowie Knife so important. :hmm:
:hatsoff:

:hmm: Not being a cutlery afficiando---However, the name of the manufacture and location of the knife's origin are most important provenances. Quite apparently this knife has a lineage which is quite famous and the existence of a serviceable, if not old, sheath has an additional value. The condition listed as Fine would also add to it's apparent worth either at auction or in a direct sale. All of these facts, plus the workmanship, handle, bolsters etc. and inflation turn a maybe $20 knife made way back when into the ~$50,000 price tag it carries. Just consider a GPR and beautifully made modern repro Jakob Dickert, what make one worth ~$400 and the latter worth $2-3000 or more---or compare either to an original in Fine or Very Fine condition. :thumbsup:

I don't know much about knives except that all mine are sharp. I reckon that "Important" means that some fool is going to part with $40K which is important money in my book.

This looks like a couple of "Parade Knives" that I have had. They were big, heavy and couldn't slice bacon because the blade was too thick. I imagine that the reason the knife is in such good condition is that is unusable in the kitchen.

Many Klatch

You dont say a date for the knife, but it appears similar to D. Boones cuttoe knife. Sort of a hunting sword.....did they mention anybodys name attached to it?

My Gardners " American Edge Weapons" book does not list a Bradford, so I don't know how importan Bradford was not to be listed...

While the blade looks original,the handle does not .It appears too recent and wrong for the style and age of the knife.IMO.

More like a $ 1500 knife to a serious player........

Twice B.

The answer to your question is: The Bigger Sucker Theory of Arbitrage and wishful thinking, considering the price. I have to agree with TB, the handle is much too crude to be original.

Bountyhunter said:
You dont say a date for the knife, but it appears similar to D. Boones cuttoe knife. Sort of a hunting sword.....did they mention anybodys name attached to it?

Sorrry that's all i know, no date,no name. :(

About the handle not being original...it appears like the guard does not match the wear on the metal throat of the sheath either...could just be the photo...any one else notice that? I think the doubts here could be very justified...especially at the estimated price.
T.Albert

I'll have to check my Bowie knife references (not at hand now). IF it is a good old one, the price may not be too out of line, but it seems pricey to me as is. Looks like the handle/guard could be a replacement (?). Old documented Bowies from known makers or with a known history can easily bring $50,000 to $100,000. These are typically the early ones (1830s-40s). Bowies were more common and plentiful from Civil War on...the "real" Bowie knife era is the early one...I am not familiar with the "Bradford" stamp.

Mike Roberts said:
. Old documented Bowies from known makers or with a known history can easily bring $50,000 to $100,000. These are typically the early ones (1830s-40s).
:shocked2: :shocked2: WOW :surrender:
Never thought a Bowie or any other knife so expensive.

When I was a teenager, a shooter friend/mentor (obviously a few years older) had a Bowie that had been taken from a mate on the CSS Savannah. The provenance on that story couldn't be proven, BUT it was an early example in beautiful condition, and he later put his daughter through college with the proceeds of the sale.

I have the Butterfield & Butterfield auction catalog from Jan 1997, of the William R Williamson knife collection, along with the listing of what they sold for. There are several dozen bowies that sold in the low to mid five figure range. There was also one knife with provenance to Rezin Bowie which went for $145,500.

undertaker said:
Trigger said:
There was also one knife with provenance to Rezin Bowie which went for $145,500.
$145,000.00 :shocked2:

Yes, $145,000,... ten years ago plus the comission of 15% of the first $50K plus 10% of the amount over $50K. Ten years ago. Sadly, I was unable to get the house up for sale in time to bid.

Trigger said:
undertaker said:
Trigger said:
There was also one knife with provenance to Rezin Bowie which went for $145,500.
$145,000.00 :shocked2:

Yes, $145,000,... ten years ago plus the comission of 15% of the first $50K plus 10% of the amount over $50K. Ten years ago. Sadly, I was unable to get the house up for sale in time to bid.
He Trigger what will your wife say to you, when you bring a new butcher knife for $145,00.00 for her kitchen.Oh, i forget, no house no kitchen. :haha:

Latest posts

Back