• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Venting Precussion Rifle Drum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfcbuf

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I built a 45 cal. percussion rifle with drum and nipple but never comfortable with strength in the breach area of the drum and nipple system. Will venting the drum at the clean out screw (8/32 screw) with a 1/16" hole lessen the breach pressure? My goal is to improve the safety level when using loads of 60 - 80 grains of Pyrodex. Also, will the rifle's performance be affected by the vent hole. Yes, I am aware that anyone standing to my right side must be advised of the flash.

:rotf: Its more fun to quietly sneak up on the person to the right, say flint, they know its not, then pepper them.

Yes, venting the drum will lessen the breech pressure, just like a flint lock has less pressure due to the vent hole. You can also drill the durm so it will shoot towards the muzzle. Vented percussion rifles must be rare in my area as I've never seen one yet.

venting will also (in theory) improve lock time due to not having to push a column of air ahead of the flame front. the dixie catalog has info hidden in the back of the book. i think it covers venting the drum.

Latest posts

Back