• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent pick- just how small?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Came across this forged mail. Would love to know how thin I need to file it down to make a fit with Kibler Woodsrunner .50. Love to hear from this great group
IMG_3296.jpeg

I just use a common paper clip. I straightened out one end. The other end I bent into a loop for a hand hold.
I tied it to my shot bag on a thin, short, waxed cord. It hangs beside my powder measure.
I keep an extra one inside my little tool bag that is kept inside my shot bag. That one is made of a very thin nail tapped into the end of a 1/4 inch dowel. I painted the short 3/4 inch section of dowel, blue, just because I could. ():>)

Came across this forged mail. Would love to know how thin I need to file it down to make a fit with Kibler Woodsrunner .50. Love to hear from this great group View attachment 262373
Do you have a propane torch, some kind of hammer, and a vise or other heavy hard metal "thing"?

You could heat it up and tap it to shape/diameter and say you "forged" it yourself.

When it's done heat it up a final time and dip it in oil. It'll turn a nice durable black color.

Although not period correct, The large size paper clip is about the perfect size for a vent pick. Bend out the long leg and the flat end pushes powder into the vent hole perfectly and is a perfect fit. When done with it, clip it to the inside pocket so it doesn't get lost. You'll know right where it is when you need it again.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Blue Jays tail feather
I did that for a while but found out it's a Federal offense to possess one. Any songbird feather for that matter.

"
The possession of feathers and other parts of native North American birds without a permit is prohibited by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA).Apr 17, 2023"

Came across this forged mail. Would love to know how thin I need to file it down to make a fit with Kibler Woodsrunner .50. Love to hear from this great group View attachment 262373
That looks about 7 or 8 inches long and about a quarter inch in diameter......waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too big. Even with a lot of grinding it might be good for a cannon vent pick.

I did that for a while but found out it's a Federal offense to possess one. Any songbird feather for that matter.

"
The possession of feathers and other parts of native North American birds without a permit is prohibited by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA).Apr 17, 2023"

I was going to mention that and am glad to see someone else did. I saved some dove feathers to use in mine, they work fine and as far as I know are legal to possess.

A friend of mine found a red-tailed hawk tailfeather on airport property and hung it from his rearview mirror. Got pulled over and if the DPS officer hadn't been kind and told him to get rid of that "chicken feather" before another officer identified it as something else and arrested him he would have been in deep poo.

Back