• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent Liner Question - Thread Compound

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray-Vigo

Yankee
Reaction score
For a flintlock vent liner you have no intent of removing once installed (I do not remove them for cleaning), do you use Loctite on the threads? I have worked the liner down to size so it does not stick into the barrel, and am ready for final fitting flush with the outside barrel face. Should I Loctite it into place and then finish flush on the outside?

Last edited:
No loctite. They don't need it. I wipe a little prussian blue on mine before I thread them in. It's just a grease that I normally use for inletting. I like the threads to have something on them to help with rust preventio.

For a flintlock vent liner you have no intent of removing once installed (I do not remove them for cleaning), do you use Loctite on the threads? I have worked the fliner down to size so it does not stick into the barrel, and am ready for final fitting flush with the outside barrel face. Should I Loctite it into place and then finish flush on the outside?
I do not loctite mine. A little anti rust coating of gun oil is what I like. I do make sure the TH liner is in nice and solid, but not stretching the threads.
Larry

Interesting, I assumed something like Loctite Red 271 (it says it is shock and vibration resistant) would be useful to permanently lock in the liner (removal by EZ-Out). It sounds like no Loctite is what people are recommending though.

actually loctite will work to seal the gaps in the threaded joint and help to prevent it from rusting in in the event you decide to replace it latter. Loctite blue and red both will "release" at temps above 550 F

I installed the liner earlier this evening. The 1/4-28 threads in the barrel wall do not go all the way through, so I filed the liner down to bottom on both the threads and at a the shoulder outside the barrel at the same time. I then filed down the face flush and drilled the liner touch hole up to 1/16". I did not use the Loctite (I have Red 271 in a little tube on hand), but I will try it if the vent liner gives trouble. The liner is the slotted Track of the Wolf style liner. I would use a White Lightning but they are 1/4-32 instead of 28, so I went with what matched.

I almost always use a thread sealer of some kind. Homemade, Teflon tape, Locktite, on touch hole liners I use locktite red. In the very rare instance that it might meed removal, a little heat will do the trick.
Robby

Interesting, teflon tape is something I did not consider. Are you using the tape or loctite to seal the threads from gas blow-by or is it more to prevent fouling and rust from building up? I may revisit if blow by is an issue, though I don't know how I would tell given that the area generates blow-by by virtue of the touch hole itself.

Teflon tape is for tapered pipe fittings, the liner is not tapered. It will seal fine on the barrel countersink. If it leaks it will stop after a couple of shots. Some kind of grease, like antiseize is a good idea. When it comes time to remove it you will be glad you did.

I have used the teflon tape on nipples that were slightly "loose" before going to .005 oversized ones. I am a firm believer in the theory:"If it works-use it."

Teflon tape is for tapered pipe fittings, the liner is not tapered. It will seal fine on the barrel countersink. If it leaks it will stop after a couple of shots. Some kind of grease, like antiseize is a good idea. When it comes time to remove it you will be glad you did.
If your threads aren't tapered you shouldn't use teflon tape. My threads have no self understanding of just what they are and must identify as tapered cuz they seal up as required.
Robby

While you may not want to remove the liner for cleaning, you will need to remove it to replace it after the vent hole gets worn/enlarged from firing.

Right you are, Teflon tape is a lubricant of sorts for tapered pipe threads to keep the threads from galling. It will work as a sealant (for a while anyway) but there are things that are way better for that. I'd say locktite if you don't expect to remove the liner, never-seize if you expect to replace the part some day.

Right you are, Teflon tape is a lubricant of sorts for tapered pipe threads to keep the threads from galling. It will work as a sealant (for a while anyway) but there are things that are way better for that. I'd say locktite if you don't expect to remove the liner, never-seize if you expect to replace the part some day.
Interesting. When you search for teflon tape, in virtually every advertisement it is listed as a thread seal.
What Is Teflon Tape Used For?
For plumbers, PTFE tape is essential when sealing up pipe threads before making connections. But, thanks to its many properties, there are many professional and casual uses for it.

Just consider that it’s…

• Chemical inert, so it won’t react with other elements. That makes it ideal for applications where solvents, gases, or acids may be lurking.
  • Robustly resistant to pressure, which makes it suitable for fuel injection systems and other high bar applications.
  • Resistant to high arcs and performs well in high temperatures, making it ideal for use with capacitors, wire harnesses, and high-temperature coils.
  • Non-stick, making it easy to remove or reapply without the need to clean up messy adhesive.
Robby

Back