• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

VELOCITY: Rifled vs. Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
SITUATION:
Identical .62cal muzzleloaders, except one is rifled, and one is a smoothbore.

Both have identical charges and payloads fired under identical conditions, etc, etc.

QUESTION:
Which firearm's payload will exit it's muzzle first...and why?

Well, i would have to say the smoothbore since it doesn't have anything to slow it down like rifling. But i ain't no engineer, so this is JMO.

Okay now, I read this discussion before and did not wade in. I have read many artcles over the years about black powder and velocity. The preponderance of information indicates that the more resistance to movement of the projectile, the higher the pressure and the higher the velocity. Resistance equals compression equals pressure equals velocity. It has been revealed by chronograph that as the barrel dirties from continued firing the velocity increases. This is due to resistance of movement of the projectile. In fact, in my own experience, I have found a tightly packed load gives a louder report and increased recoil. Even my nine year old grand nephew at the time noticed this when he stamped a load really hard in my .54 caliber pistol. The only reason for increased recoil with the same load in the same gun from shot to shot would be increased velocity. So, I would conclude that the rifled barrel would expell the projectile with more velocity than the smooth barrel and the looser the ball in the smoothie the less velocity. :blah: And the powder-wad-loose ball- wad would produce the least velocity, unless the over powder wad is a stiff one which is really tight in the bore. :m2c: In fact, Just yesterday I was shooting blue rock at a competition using an assortment of wads. I had crazy variations in report and recoil according to which wads I used. :results:
God bless. :redthumb:
volatpluvia

Yep, I was right in the middle of that one. I'd suggest everyone beg, borrow, or steal, a copy of Lt. James Forsyth's book, The Sporting Rifle and It's Projectiles. It's pretty much the definitive work on rifles and smoothbores in actual use, in the hunting fields of India in the last half of the eighteen hundreds. His choice was the smoothbore, hands down. You'll have to find the book to see why.

All things considererd the smoothbore will produce higher velocities. The Army spent a lot of your hard earned money on research before going from the M1 Abrams with a rifled main gun to the M1A1 with a smoothbore gun. The reason was velocity. They increased from a 105mm to a 120mm as well, but if rifled barrels had produced superior velocities the newer tanks would be sporting 120mm rifled cannons.

Resistance equals compression equals pressure equals velocity.

Reistance equals drag. If resistance were helpful, we wouldn't be lubing those patches. The riflng alone increases resistance. There is more surface area in a rifled barrel and that means more friction.

I thought that the smoothbore on the tanks was because of the speed of the round was faster than could be stabilized with rifling. That round is going out at over 4500 fps whitch is somewhere near max for a rifled barrel.
Lehigh..

I thought that the smoothbore on the tanks was because of the speed of the round was faster than could be stabilized with rifling. That round is going out at over 4500 fps whitch is somewhere near max for a rifled barrel.
Lehigh..

That's true it's well over 4500 fps (with APFSDSDU rounds) :: and it is stabalized by fins on the rounds. I didn't know that there was a maximum velocity that could be stabilized by rifling, but I'm sure that rifling slows the round.

As Volatpluvia pointed out, the looser fitting PRBs in a smoothie will lose velocity, but I am assuming that the "all things being equal" spirit of the thread means that the seals of both projectiles would be equal as well as size, weight, and propelling charge.

Flash in the pan,
smokeless powder is different from black and doesn't act the same. I don't know anything about the cannon on the Abrams tank. All I was reporting is what I read from people who had done the testing using chronographs, plus a little experience. It would be fun to set up a chrono and find out. I know it isn't exactly the same, but I have a Getz 20 gauge smoothbore and a Getz .60 rifled. The diameter of the barrel inside at the bottom of the grooves is within .001" of the smoothbore. I might try to find someone who has a chrono and try it. ::
God bless.
volatpluvia

SITUATION:

Both have identical charges and payloads fired under identical conditions, etc, etc.

QUESTION:

You're doin' this on purpose huh? You just wanna see how many of us have them sleepless nights trying to figure this thing out, right?

Well, I'm not falling for it, I gonna let the rest of them guys on the forum do all my figurin' for me.

Take it away guys (and gals) (can't forgett the women-folk!)

Sure do miss them braincells I lost from those drinkin' parties I used to go to! :haha: :haha: :haha:

I would say the rifled bore because there is less friction surface area as a result of material removed during the rifling process.

Does it matter? It wouldn't be much. With .62 cal, the elk won't care.

I wish I had a couple of .62cals and a chrony. But the elk won't care. Why should I?

Velocity: Smoothie VS Rifled. Which is better. The elk don't care. Why worry about it?

It starts out .62cal and flattens to what? The elk don't care! They just lay down anyway!

Does it matter? It wouldn't be much. With .62 cal, the elk won't care.

I wish I had a couple of .62cals and a chrony. But the elk won't care. Why should I?

Velocity: Smoothie VS Rifled. Which is better. The elk don't care. Why worry about it?

It starts out .62cal and flattens to what? The elk don't care! They just lay down anyway!

I was gonna say that....hey, thanks for doing some thinking for me!

How am I doing Roundball?

QUESTION:

Answer: It depends entirely upon which firearm's trigger you pull first!

...and why? Well, duh!!!!! :: ::

...The Kansan...

QUESTION:

Answer: It depends entirely upon which firearm's trigger you pull first!

...and why? Well, duh!!!!! :: ::

...The Kansan...

I was gonna say that! Thanks Kansan! :thumbsup: :haha:

SITUATION:

QUESTION:

But you said fired under identical conditions and a condition would be an identical trigger pull. try again...LoL!

Back