• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Value of rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billhuntz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

If this post is in the wrong place sorry. I have a LH Lancaster rifle I built from a Tip Curtis kit years ago. How can I find out what it's worth? It's been in my safe and only shot about 25 times. Any help would be appreciated.

You will find out that it is only worth what someone is willing to pay and your willing to part with it for. That said My uneducated guess would fall somewhere between $1000-$1200. Maybe more to the person looking for that one particular rifle. Greg. :)

Thanks for the answer. I know it will take the right person but didn't have any idea where to start.

I'll post a few more later.

Attachments

• 20191213_164630.jpg
    20191213_164630.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 171
Bill, you don't say in your post if you are interested in selling the rifle, or just looking for "what it's worth" for your own information, insurance, etc.
Here's some things that can effect the fair price of a rifle:
Caliber..??? Who made the lock..?? Who made the barrel..?? L.O.P. ?? What finish is on the barrel (pics will be necessary to see how well it was executed)..?? How well were the sights installed ( again pics if you please)..??
Last September at Friendship I passed on a rifle that was ALMOST exactly what I was looking for because the builder had totally cobbled up the dovetails and tried to make up the difference by pounding the metal edges down to secure the sights. What he did went waaayyy beyond "Stippling"..and left a visible gap between the base of the sight and the barrel beneath it. I've looked at rifles where the lock bolt wasn't lined up to go straight through the stock. One in particular...was at a pretty extreme angle so that the head of the bolt was "crooked" when drawn up to the sideplate. How are the barrel tenons done, and how well are they executed ?
Your rifle has a great piece of wood, that's for sure but that won't outweigh poor building. I can take $1000.00 worth of parts plus exhibition grade wood and build a $500.00 rifle which is why I don't try my hand at building from a kit. Eric's WAG is most likely a good ballpark, if the rifle has been well built, was cleaned properly after you fired those 25 rounds through it and is in overall pristine condition..inside and out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking of selling. It is a Tip Curtis kit, but I had him install the sights and do the inletting. Basically all I had to do was finish the wood and pin the barrel to the stock. The barrel is a Green Mountain and 38 inches long, LOP is 13 1/2" I do not have the skills some others have as builders. I definitely would have clobbered it together so I didn't take the chance. I'll decide after the new year starts whether to keep it or not. I need to figure out the lock question too.

I am thinking of selling. It is a Tip Curtis kit, but I had him install the sights and do the inletting. Basically all I had to do was finish the wood and pin the barrel to the stock. The barrel is a Green Mountain and 38 inches long, LOP is 13 1/2" I do not have the skills some others have as builders. I definitely would have clobbered it together so I didn't take the chance. I'll decide after the new year starts whether to keep it or not. I need to figure out the lock question too.

Well then you need to post that in the For Sale section of the forum, but wait....

Before addressing how good a job the builder did in putting the rifle together, you need to show how well you maintained it. You need a photo of the interior of the barrel. ;)

Tip Curtis is a known builder. He did most of the work. It's a lefty so that's not that common...I think $1400 might be a tad low...but it is a Green Mountain barrel, which are good but not the top brand. The lock brand will effect the price, as will the caliber.

LD

For those who didn't read the forum rules, it is against the forum rules for a person to make an offer to buy or sell anything in the general forum areas.

Offers to buy or sell MUST be made in the Classified Ad area.

The lock appears to be an unpolished Siler, but who knows who assembled it. You would have to look inside to see if it is marked.

Last edited:
Good solid used rifles not particularly embellished and not made by a rock star builder seldom sell for over $1200. Often in the $750-$1000 range. I know a fine builder of later rifles who would make me one for $1000 and it would be unique but just as fine as Kibler’s Southern Mountain Rifle. He will probably have a new gun or 2 at Friendship asking $1200 or so. I certainly can not do better work than he does on plain later rifles.

Tip Curtis sells his new rifles for around $1300-$1400 if I remember correctly so I would think this used rifle that wasn’t finished by Tip would be something less than his new price. That is why my guess was $1000-$1200. Greg :)

Back