• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

V-parting tool or veiner?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agill

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Which do you prefer between a V-parting tool or veiner(more U-shaped in the bottom) when doing the releif carving and what size or sizes work best?

Thanks,
FH

Maybe my terminology is wrong, but I call the small V shaped carving tool a veiner. I prefer it for fine lines and getting into small places to remove wood.

I'm not too sure of the terminology either. I am going by Woodcrafts' Website www.woodcraft.com and catalog. They describe the PFEIL brand as different with the difference with the veiners having more U shaped cut than the V-parting tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer has to be that you can use both. The choice is based on what kind of incise shape you are wanting to create. The diamond shaped veiner is useful for cutting lines, or establishing the base of a vertical cut, with precision. The rounded bottom veiner is good for soft reliefs.

I guess I then prefer the parting tool for establishing lines and removing material in close areas. The veiner is useful in removing wood in the more open areas.

What size parting and veining tools do you guys prefer... standard or micro? If micro, 1 mm? 2mm? 3?

I have had a set of powergrips from woodcraft for quite a while but doing fine detail incised carving I find difficult. Thus I was looking at some of the micro sets, just don't know exactly what all I'll need as in a compete set or just one or two individuals... Now that I'm finally taking on a quality long rifle kit that I have a real opportunity to customize in my style I'd like to be prepared and get some time in on the chisels before putting them to the stock...

Any suggestions?

A couple of years ago I bought a boxed set of 5 quality Taylor carving tools (Sheffield, England) off ebay. So far, the most used tool is the parting tool. The set cost about $60 which is well below their value if bought new. I think just that one tool would cost $35+. If you look long enough you may come across a nice set like that. Just do a search on ebay or other favorite auction site.

I can't think of anything I would actually use a Veiner for.

I use the finer degree V-parting tool from Pfeil. Works wonderfully. Once you get the hang of incise carving, it isn't hard, but there's absolutely NO room for error.

Back