• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

V Pan Manton Now What?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RwBeV

36 Cal.
Reaction score
DSCF2327.jpg

I was at a friends house the other day, I looked in one of his tool box drawers and saw a flintlock that I have never seen before. I asked about it and Ron said "Oh that old thing you can have it", So my question is now.... what do I do with it? I build Po-boys, it would be hard to say that Pa Kettle made a trip to England and came home with this lock in his pocket. So all you English gun builders what should I build with this style lock?

It's worth alot of money, I'd sell it to a lock collector. The last thing I'd do with it is build a gun around it. Look to get $350+ for it. I have sold probably 1/2 dozen strray locks over the years and always got real good money for them.

:redface: Oops thats what I get for staying up so late. It is a reproduction I don't know who made it but its a well built lock. I got it from Ron Long and he couldn't remember who built it either. I think the V pan was the last flintlock that Manton designed. I thought that it would look good in some sort of English sporting gun or fowling piece. I would like to find out who made it though.

If that is a repro I bet it is a trs lock. Many southern rifles had english locks on them maybe even most of them in the flintlock era, but I'm no expert. I do know that that lock would go fine on a southern rifle.

Build yourself an English Gentlemans Rifle around that lock and never look back.
Twice.

But I ain't no gentleman! I have alway liked the look of the Purdey's, have to look around and see if I can find some pictures. See if I can find one with a Manton lock on it. That would mean that I would have to go over to Africa to try it out.

It don't matter you can always pretend,lots of that going on around here. :rotf:
TOW had couple original Joe Mantons but I think they were cap guns. Chaimbers has a nice English dude sporting rifle . Check em out.

Twice.

That would mean that I would have to take off my buckskins, beads, feathers, and Moccasins (that I always wear) could I keep the beard? Thanks I will take a look at the Chambers gun it might lend itself well to my lock if he offers a precarved stock.

Heck I might look good in a suit and top hat at the range, or would a pith helmet be more in line?

Thanks for the help
Bob

RwBeV said:
That would mean that I would have to take off my buckskins, beads, feathers, and Moccasins (that I always wear) could I keep the beard? Thanks I will take a look at the Chambers gun it might lend itself well to my lock if he offers a precarved stock.

Heck I might look good in a suit and top hat at the range, or would a pith helmet be more in line?

Thanks for the help
Bob

No Man you don't have to get rid of nothing. Just use you imagination. There must have been lots of Scottish boys with English guns at those Vouz. Hell you can even wear a kilt .I'm being serious. :thumbsup:
Twice.

RwBeV said:
DSCF2327.jpg

I was at a friends house the other day, I looked in one of his tool box drawers and saw a flintlock that I have never seen before. I asked about it and Ron said "Oh that old thing you can have it", So my question is now.... what do I do with it? I build Po-boys, it would be hard to say that Pa Kettle made a trip to England and came home with this lock in his pocket. So all you English gun builders what should I build with this style lock?

Is it a recessed or plain breech?
I would make a English Sporting rifle in either case or maybe put it on a over the chunk gun. 24 to 16 bore.

Dan

Well Bob if you wanna dispose of that lock just put it in with my barrel! I can think of several guns to build outta it! :grin: Nice score buddy!

Hey Bruce how you doing? I have had several offers like that. I traded into several AAA+ fancy Penn. Stocks, I think I will whittle down one of them into a nice little Po-boy with a fancy new-fangled flint lock. It should get some looks at the range. :shocked2:

Bob those looks at the range are priceless! What the heck you got there Bob, with that fancy dancy lock???? :haha:

Back