• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Appropriate use for an L&R Flintlock Manton "Bailles" lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper1993

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a left handed Manton lock and a 44 inch GR Douglas barrel in 36 cal. I am unsure of what school or style of longrifle I can build with it. From what i've read manton didnt export locks to the US but english guns with his lock were imported and also from what I understand the L&R manton isn't based on a single manton lock but the overall style of mantons or even english locks as a whole. edit: I also have two walnut pistol blanks

That style of lock gets a lot of curious names to market it in the US but its a fine lock unlikley to suit any traditional US rifle , But can that matter ? its not impossible that such a combination might have been made .No rondevous range officer is going to ban its use so why worry. If such a lock was given me Ide be happy the only L&R locks like that Ive used where fine .
Rudyard

This is my more or less representation of a Southern Mountain Rifle (about 32" barrel) using the L&R Manton lock. The lock is a fine lock and performs very well. Yes, you will find that polishing the parts that rub together and smoothing of the parts that rotate against the lock plate will benefit performance, but that is a necessary task to be done with any lock.

SMR Flint 06.jpg

This is my more or less representation of a Southern Mountain Rifle (about 32" barrel) using the L&R Manton lock. The lock is a fine lock and performs very well. Yes, you will find that polishing the parts that rub together and smoothing of the parts that rotate against the lock plate will benefit performance, but that is a necessary task to be done with any lock.

View attachment 139812
I think Appalachian rifles might be the best fit for the lock then. I did see an Upper Susquehanna Adam Morr rifle that seems to have a lock very similar to the look of the manton though i cannot be sure of who made the lock on this gun
Screenshot 2022-05-16 203539.png

That lock is suitable for many styles of rifle but with a straight barrel in that caliber I would be leaning toward a Tennessee mountain rifle, or western Carolina styles.
Planning is half the fun, good luck!!!!
Robby

Back