• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Using Barricade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diana

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Many on this board use Barricade in the bore of their rifle to prevent rust. It contains petroleum distillates. Now I have seen where using petroleum based products are a no-no because they form a tar like substance which is very hard to remove. Is this the case with Barricade? What is the best way to clean Barricade out of the bore before shooting?

Of the six local gunshops, plus Wal-Mart in my area, none have ever even heard of Barricade. :confused: I would like to try it.
The anti-petroleum thing is, IMHO, pure myth. There are anti-pet guys who advising using mineral oil, automatic transmission fluid, Ballistol and other 'stuff'. Mineral oil is the basis of ATF and Ballistol and it is a petroleum product. Many shooters like white water pump grease for patch lube and over ball sealant for pistols. It's myth.
I would like to try Barricade and will buy some next time I get to a big city.

Birchwood Caseys Barricade is one the best anti-rust product on the market today IMHO. I can find it everywhere down here, Academy Sports, Wal-Mart, Bass-Pro, and several gun stores. I use it in the bore and on the outside of the barrel. I just run a alcohol patch down the barrel followed by a dry patch before shooting and all is well. :thumbsup:

Using Barricade in your bore as a rust preventive is okay so long as you wipe it out before shooting. Since you do not slather on the Barricade, all that is necessary is to run a few patches through your bore to wipe it clean before shooting. If you wish to make sure, for your piece of mind, that all Barricade is removed from your bore, you can use a bit of lighter fluid or similar solvent on a final patch to remove all of the Barricade. But, in reality, a few dry patches will do a plenty good job of removing the Barricade from your bore. The problem with petroleum products in the bore is when they are used as patch or bullet lube. I use and recommend Barricade as a rust preventive in and on all metal surfaces with the provision that if it is used in the bore, that the bore be wiped clean before shooting. Properly used, Barricade is an excellent product for use on muzzleloading guns.

I've tested and found that petroleum oils and black powder fouling will indeed create tars that can be difficult to remove.

The thing about it is, the oil must be in a coating that is thick enough to actually leave the surface wet and "oily".

If for instance you applied the petroleum oil with a swab and then loaded the barrel with a load it would produce the dreaded tar.

If the bore had been oiled and was then wiped with a few dry patches (no alcohol) and loaded, firing the gun probably wouldn't leave enough tar like fouling to be noticed.

This is one of the advantages of Barricade.
It is a water thin protectorate that drys to the touch shortly after it is applied.

Loading a barrel that has been treated with Barricade without first cleaning the Barricade out will leave no tar like fouling and the barrel will easily clean up at the end of the day.

Dang, I thought this post was about someone barricading themselves in with their guns and start'n the next revolution! :idunno: Oh well...first time I've heard of this stuff myself and after listening to Zonie's report I will be giving it a try! :v

Back