• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

USB Scope pics of Breeches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melnic

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Took some USB scope pics of some breeches before and after final cleaning of the breech.
You can see the differences also in the styles of breeches. Final cleaning included a thin patch wrapped around a 22 Brush.

First Up, CVA Hawken Breech.

Before:
CVABreech2_zpsea951183.jpg

After Cleaning.
CVABreechclean1_zps1d4aca03.jpg

got it from amazon. Look at the length and the diameter. This one is just shy of 30 cal.
It has LED lights built into it with a brightness control

Here is a Thompson Center. Note the depth is more shallow and the flash hole comes almost into the rear.
TCBreech1_zps8c9b90c6.jpg

Cleaned (Hmm, if it was not in my car for a range trip this afternoon, I would take another swipe at it)

TCClean_zps10ba4ee2.jpg

Which one did you get and what diameter do I need for .45cal 42inch barrel? Thanks

Thanks Melnic, I just ordered one also_One more question- how did you take the picture of the bore?

I am doing this on an old Windows XP machine.
The USB camera does not come with any software so when I plug it in, it appears in windows file explorer. I right click and I think what I chose was something like "take pictures".
If you double click it, it will allow you to view but not take pics.
Once you get into the take pictures mode, it allows you to take snap shots, then choose the pics you want to save and the folder. There are freeware image recording and snapshot software out there if you want something better.

I just turned the light up (knob on the USB end of the cable) then inserted it into the bore.

OK, here is an uncleaned dirty bore. I left it dirty and drove home after a range trip, then cleaned it.

DIRTY:
TCDirtyClean002_zps991725f9.jpg

TCDirtyClean001_zps028a9fd8.jpg

CLEANED (4 patches in the toilet, Pipe cleaner through clean out hole, alcohol, dry, 22 cal brush w/ patch, Barricade)
TCDirtyClean006_zps8a984d61.jpg

I bought one of these a while ago off ebay (about $12 with software). I found that examining the bore was a problem, because the camera was trying to focus too far ahead of itself. I taped a short length of wire to the camera body and taped a suitable piece of dowel to the wire a couple of inches in front of the camera. The light bounces back off the dowel and reflects onto the bore between the camera and the dowel and allows the camera to just focus on the bore in that area. To look at the breech just remove the wire/dowel.

dikman said:
I bought one of these a while ago off ebay (about $12 with software). I found that examining the bore was a problem, because the camera was trying to focus too far ahead of itself. I taped a short length of wire to the camera body and taped a suitable piece of dowel to the wire a couple of inches in front of the camera. The light bounces back off the dowel and reflects onto the bore between the camera and the dowel and allows the camera to just focus on the bore in that area. To look at the breech just remove the wire/dowel.

I think I can follow what your saying but can you post a pic of your creation?

Back