• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Upgrading a Lyman lefty flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've read of shimming the flint with some leather to raise it. Replacing the cock with one from a TC (right hand only I think). Any other tips or suggestions?

Can someone else's lefty lock be worked to fit in a Deerstalker? I'm a greenhorn with working on these rifles. But I'm guessing that if a guy reworks the plate and inletting maybe a more traditional lock might work.

My lock works but I read over and over that the difference between a truly well tuned lock and these imports is outstanding. My motive is too upgrade my rifle and learn a bit about these rock ignition systems?

I don't think the Lyman lock is a very good one but it does work. I think the touch hole liner is a bigger issue. Have you enlarged it to 5/64ths and coned it? That may be all you need to do and leave the lock alone.
Or, yes, do put the extra thick piece of leather under the flint. Real flint, too!

Thanks, it does spark but only hits the frizzen a little below half way down. I'm installing a new liner to improve the location of the vent. It sits ok from the sunset position but crowds the rear of the pan. The pan slopes a bit forward to add some more uncertainty. I will redrill this one this weekend.

I would like to play around with a good lock but not the expensive of a new rifle or kit. The Deerstalker is not a historical rifle but I sure do like the fit and balance of this rifle.

This stuff is fun for me.

Back