• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Update on .62 rifle charge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a picture showing where the buck fell, his bed next to the dark shade center right, and where I sat when I shot him just left of the two bushes and right of the single bush at the top of the outcropping. I spotted him bedding down from about a mile away, but even through my spotting scope, I couldn't tell if he was legaI (must be 3 point or better on one side). I was able to sneak in over him, but was pinned down by a doe and fawn. I sat for over 3 hours waiting for him to stand so I could see more than horns. I managed to not fall asleep and stay aware, so when he stood, I shot. The wind was indeed blowing steadily uphill, which made the wait possible and kept me cool in the direct sunlight! This is your post though and I sure hope you have a great first hunt with your new toy!
View attachment 98222
This is so really cool and fun, Dave. His bed is a cozy little scratched out spot of soft dirt. Great vantage point, and protected up against that rock wall. You were so close! It’s incredible they did not bust you one way or another. Usually they have their eyes and ears pointed downwind, and their nose checking the wind coming from behind. I guess you just had the perfect angle on them. Great job sneaking up. That is not easy, no matter what the wind. One foot bumping a loose rock in that long grass, and they’d a been long gone. I’ll bet you can kill stuff there every year. That bluff is perfect. Thanks for sharing and also for the compliment on Wheland’s gun. A guy at the range yesterday said “You’d better have that thing above the mantle or in some other public area. It would be a crime to keep it hidden.” Isn’t that nice? I think pretty much all decent muzzleloaders inspire this kind of adulation, especially among people who don’t shoot them or see them regularly. I like that

So Dave, how did you acquire your .62? Was it made for you? And why did you choose it?
It's actually a Thompson Center Hawken with a 1" Green Mountain drop-in barrel that I bought quite a few years ago. The .62's were a smoothbore, but several members, myself included, sent them to Ed Rayl to rifle 1:72. It shoots the .595 ball/.15patch in front of 90gr of 2f Goex very well. Here's a 3 shot group at 100 yards from last year, aiming at the little x (bottom of bullseye). I bought the Hawken from another member with a .58 Green Mountain barrel (unfired), but something about the .62 just drew me to it. I never shot the .58 barrel and just this summer finally sold it on this site.
IMG_3706[1].JPG

It's actually a Thompson Center Hawken with a 1" Green Mountain drop-in barrel that I bought quite a few years ago. The .62's were a smoothbore, but several members, myself included, sent them to Ed Rayl to rifle 1:72. It shoots the .595 ball/.15patch in front of 90gr of 2f Goex very well. Here's a 3 shot group at 100 yards from last year, aiming at the little x (bottom of bullseye). I bought the Hawken from another member with a .58 Green Mountain barrel (unfired), but something about the .62 just drew me to it. I never shot the .58 barrel and just this summer finally sold it on this site.
View attachment 98228
Dave, this is one of those stories that proves how varied and complex humans are. So many different ways to approach problem solving or personal desires, all arriving at the same place more or less in the end. Not in a million years would I have considered any of this as a path. But look how well it works!
I am intrigued by the powder charge difference between our guns. Mine is pushing a +/- .600” 335 grain ball, and I found it absolutely requires 115-120 grains of FFG Swiss to hit where it’s aiming at 100 yards. But with only a slightly lighter ball, yours requires a LOT less powder. And GOEX at that.
*curious*

Dave, this is one of those stories that proves how varied and complex humans are. So many different ways to approach problem solving or personal desires, all arriving at the same place more or less in the end. Not in a million years would I have considered any of this as a path. But look how well it works!
I am intrigued by the powder charge difference between our guns. Mine is pushing a +/- .600” 335 grain ball, and I found it absolutely requires 115-120 grains of FFG Swiss to hit where it’s aiming at 100 yards. But with only a slightly lighter ball, yours requires a LOT less powder. And GOEX at that.
*curious*
The statement I've always read...."every gun is different", definitely holds true. I've never shot Swiss, though I may have to if the Goex plant doesn't start up again. Also, I was originally a little hesitant to go too much higher with loads due to the relatively thin metal left in this 1" barrel (after deducting the screw depth for rib and rear sight or dovetail depth for lug and front sight). I'm pretty sure I could go a little higher, but it shoots well at 90gr and I've taken 2 mule deer bucks and a small bull elk with a single shot each with this rifle, so I know it works as is. My barrel is only 32" and if I remember right, yours is some longer, so you have a bit more length to burn the additional powder. Other differences in our barrels definitely come into play too. Your rifle looks to be shooting quite well with your load and it will probably shoot better (up to a point) as you get more shots down the bore. Keep after it and I'm looking forward to future posts!

The statement I've always read...."every gun is different", definitely holds true. I've never shot Swiss, though I may have to if the Goex plant doesn't start up again. Also, I was originally a little hesitant to go too much higher with loads due to the relatively thin metal left in this 1" barrel (after deducting the screw depth for rib and rear sight or dovetail depth for lug and front sight). I'm pretty sure I could go a little higher, but it shoots well at 90gr and I've taken 2 mule deer bucks and a small bull elk with a single shot each with this rifle, so I know it works as is. My barrel is only 32" and if I remember right, yours is some longer, so you have a bit more length to burn the additional powder. Other differences in our barrels definitely come into play too. Your rifle looks to be shooting quite well with your load and it will probably shoot better (up to a point) as you get more shots down the bore. Keep after it and I'm looking forward to future posts!
Well said. I appreciate the encouragement

One of the old gun writers once said, “every rifle is a law unto itself.” That’s pretty much it although muzzleloaders usually adhere to some loosely based suggestions as far as what will/should work for it and others of its type.

Back