• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unplated Screws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since muzzledloader kits come with unplated screws, do I need to torch these screws red hot and drop them in motor oil or ATF?
Can I use regular plated screws or will they not brown when I do the browning/blueing process?
Thanks. :confused:

arkrico

I would not use plated screws, you can brown or blue the unplated screws if you want. If you cast lead you can fireblue the screws by laying them in the lead pot while it is on for an hour or so.

Folks have removed the plating by soaking the screws in vinegar or other diluted acids. I don't remember the particulars, but perhaps someone who has done this will post. Alternately, try searching the archives.

arkrivco said:
Since muzzledloader kits come with unplated screws, do I need to torch these screws red hot and drop them in motor oil or ATF?
Can I use regular plated screws or will they not brown when I do the browning/blueing process?
Thanks. :confused:

arkrico
I don't understand your question....are you trying to fire blue unplated screws or are you trying to remove the plating? If doing fire blue, just heat the screws gently until they are blue and drop them in any oil. Plated screws will need to have the plating removed, as stated above, before fire bluing or browning.

Thanks. You answered my question. I have never heated unplated screws before or dealt with having to blue metal. I am building my first muzzleloader kit and there are a lot of unknowns out there.

arkrivco

As was said, if you buy some plated screws you should remove the plating before attempting to blue or brown them.
This can be done using acids, fine grit silicone carbide (black, wet/dry) sandpaper or even a propane torch.

To remove the plating with a torch just heat the screw head until it's glowing. (do this outdoors as the plating material will vaporize and it isn't good to breath it).

If you want to "fire blue" the metal, first sand it to a shiny condition, then, while holding the screw with some pliers, slowly heat it. Its color will change from silver to yellow to brown to purple to blue as it gets hotter. When it is changing from purple to blue, drop it into a can of oil.
If you overheat it, it will change from blue to gray. If this happens, resand it and start again.

This process will not harden the screws material so if you also want a hardened screw head you will have to buy some carburizing compound like kasenit.

If you just want to brown the screw heads, follow the instructions for your browning solution.

Submerge in household vinegar overnight. They will come out gray but will blue up just fine. Unless they are chromed...
:haha:

Polishing won't clean out the slot.

People talk about using WD-40 right after heat bluing. Don't know what it does but it sure looks nice.

Since we are talking about it, does anyone actually know what the screw finishes were on originals when they were new? Obviously the tang screw would match the barrel, but what about on the brass furniture, etc.? Any definate documentation?

Thanks!

:v

Back