• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

unload a revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekforge

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there any way to unload a 1858 without shooting it? I loaded it with some of my swaged down .490 balls to carry until I can carry a modern gun but I got some .454 balls today and would rather have them loaded in it. It is fully loaded I didn't dry ball or anything I just want to load new projectiles.

You must unload it just as the old-timers did:

1. Remove the cylinder.
2. Remove the nipples.
3. Using a brass, aluminum or hardwood pick (to avoid sparks), scratch out the old powder.
4. Using a hammer and a short length of brass rod that fits in the hole, tap out the ball. A short length of hardwood dowel may also work.
5. It's best to use a scrap of 2X4 with a 1/2" hole drilled into it to receive the ball when it leaves the cylinder. This makes tapping-out much easier.

But really, unless you stoked that Remington with a full load of Hodgdon 777, which generates greater pressures than black powder (used on equal volume with black powder, which should never be done with 777), I'd just shoot it out.
If you loaded that Remington with 35 grains or less of real black powder, there shouldn't be a problem firing out the loads.
Yes, the larger ball will create a wider bearing band for the rifling to grip, but not nearly as much total surface area as a conical bullet.
If you have concerns about the greater bearing area of a .490 ball, then put a few drops of vegetable or olive oil over each seated ball before firing, to help lubricate its passage down the bore.

Incidentally, through the years I've occasionally loaded a conical bullet with too much powder, and couldn't seat it deep enough for the cylinder to turn.
The Colt is easily remedied: shoot it without the barrel attached. Even with a maximum charge, the projectile (ball or conical) apparently doesn't have much velocity, and projectiles bang out of each chamber easily.
The last time I did this, I aimed the barrel-less Colt 1851 .36 at a cable spool. The conical bullets hit with a thunk but didn't penetrate its wood.
Curious, after reloading the revolver and replacing the barrel, I shot the wooden spool again from the same distance (about 30 feet). Every ball plowed deep into the wood.
Amazing what 7-1/2" of barrel can do!

Next visit to the Chinese Restaurant, pick up some spare disposable bamboo chopsticks. They work great for tapping out the seated ball, once nipple & powder have been removed.

thank you very much worked perfectly. that was the first thing that came to mind but I figured it wouldn't work since the holes are at an angle
:thumbsup:

Geo, I've just cobbled one of those up for my rifle (made it from a tyre inflator, blowed if I didn't need it the very next day - very embarrassing, but it worked well). I was wondering if it would work on a revolver, as I thought the balls would be a tighter fit in the cylinder?

freekforge said:
Is there any way to unload a 1858 without shooting it? I loaded it with some of my swaged down .490 balls to carry until I can carry a modern gun but I got some .454 balls today and would rather have them loaded in it. It is fully loaded I didn't dry ball or anything I just want to load new projectiles.

Shoot them out its good practice.

In many if not all jurisdictions ANY firearm is a firearm for the purpose of concealed carry if that is what we are discussing here. The Federal law for BUYING them says a ML is not a firearm. Where I live in small town MT a BB gun is defined as a firearm for the purposes of "discharging a firearm inside the city limits".
The individual law defines what a firearm is for the purposes of that law. Thinking a ML arm is "not a firearm" can cause REAL problems in this regard especially if a felony is committed.
So know your local laws.
Dan

Dan i talked about some of the legalities of carrying a muzzleloader in my state in my thread "1851 snub nose"

I just gotta say, carrying a muzzle loader for self defense, and being competent with it, is bad ass. Real hard to conceal a bow, so it's the next best thing.

Cheetah4570 said:
I just gotta say, carrying a muzzle loader for self defense, and being competent with it, is bad ass. Real hard to conceal a bow, so it's the next best thing.
If you plan on using a cap and ball for self defense then you want to pay very close to your loading ritual and never use substandard anything.

You will want to be sure that your cap and nipple fit is perfect and your lead balls all shave. Powder must be a quality powder. If you butt is on the line make sure everything is good to go.

One thing to remember about a cap and ball pistol...no hydrostatic shock. Shot placement is everything in this game.

When I load it to carry I clean it super good like I normally would then I swab the chambers with alcohol. Then I load the powder then a ball directly on top the powder and then cap it. I don't use any lube since it is only six shots and I don't want to risk contaminating the powder. I shoot it and go through the whole cleaning and loading process at least once a week. So far I haven't had any problems.

Back