• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown rifle, possibly foreign.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreeves

32 Cal
Reaction score
This rifle belonged to our grandfather who passed away this year. He never told the story of how he received it but he was a veteran of Korea and Vietnam. I'm not sure if he acquired this rifle from either campaign but I am having zero luck getting it identified and i'm hoping to get some help from you all.

Attachments

• IMG_1995.jpg
    IMG_1995.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1996.jpg
    IMG_1996.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1994.jpg
    IMG_1994.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 249
This rifle belonged to our grandfather who passed away this year. He never told the story of how he received it but he was a veteran of Korea and Vietnam. I'm not sure if he acquired this rifle from either campaign but I am having zero luck getting it identified and i'm hoping to get some help from you all.
Those stock marks appear to be Indian.

The numbers are crudely cut and are Siamese, although some are backwards, as denoted by * - they are

1 4* 7* 5 6* 6*^

It appears to be devoid of a back sight and might therefore be a shotgun. Is the barrel smooth inside? If so, then it is a shotgun. Nothing to do with Korea, but possible acquired via a Montagnard connection in Vietnam.

looks like any number of Belgian made shotguns imported and sold by hardware companies and mail order houses all over the world. Such things went for $2 or $3 in the 1880's. Closer pictures of lock, breech and under the breech, and a search for proof marks would tell a lot more.

To sum up what is above.
It is not an American firearm.
It is likely a Belgian Trade gun, with a walnut stock and no accommodation for a ramrod, that was probably owned by the ethnic minorities in the highland provinces of South East Asia and in particular Vietnam.
Clearer photos of the lock and breech area including any marks on the barrel, including under the wood, would help ascertain for sure.

I met a guy decades ago that owned a gun shop in Maryland. In his younger days he had been on some diplomatic posts in Asia. While in India he would buy British & East India company muskets cheap as dirt and send them back to the states. He claimed to have sent nearly 1,000 back to the states in the early 1960's. many ended up in the hands of Civil war reenators, scavenged for parts etc. He still had several dozen of the nicer ones in his shop's back room and every year, he would take a few up to the Baltimore Antique Gun Show to sell to British dealers that came here looking for British militaria to take back to England. Could have been a similar story, or a GI bring back, even a tourist find..

TFoley is correct: the numbers are Siamese/Thai, and are likely a registration number. The arm is a pretty typical 'monkey gun', used by the various hilltribes for taking game, though this specimen appears to be somewhat nicer than average. The hill markets stocked seamless tubing of about 1/2" bore, which local 'gunsmiths' used to make-up such arms, which are smoothbore. The markets also stocked saltpeter and sulphur, for making powder, though the locals burned their own charcoal. The arms are percussion, though the 'nipple' is commonly of large diameter and flat on top. Fairly coarse shot was also sold, though the shooter could make his own. Local apothecaries made-up percussion compounds which were applied in dabs to sheets of paper, which were torn off and stuffed into the large recess in the hammer nose.

mhb - MIke

IMG-2130.jpg
IMG-2133.jpg
IMG-2132.jpg
IMG-2131.jpg

Loving all of the information so far, would like to know as much as you guys can tell us. I should have asked more questions when he was alive and this wouldn't have been such a mystery.

Attachments

• IMG-2130.jpg
    IMG-2130.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for the additional photos. Yours really is a much better than average specimen. Workmanship is far above the usual, and considerable thought went into the construction of the piece: particularly noteworthy is the reinforcement of the breech area with extended and wrap-around plates on the sides and top. The inletting is good, and the visible screw heads are level with or slightly below the surrounding metal, whereas the usual specimen is made without any concern for such details.

mhb - MIke

Thanks for the additional photos. Yours really is a much better than average specimen. Workmanship is far above the usual, and considerable thought went into the construction of the piece: particularly noteworthy is the reinforcement of the breech area with extended and wrap-around plates on the sides and top. The inletting is good, and the visible screw heads are level with or slightly below the surrounding metal, whereas the usual specimen is made without any concern for such details.

mhb - MIke

Age?

I don't know any way of accurately determining age of this specimen - such arms are almost certainly still being made (as they were when I left Thailand in 1991). The characters before he slash in the registration stamp would identify the changwat or amphur in which the arm was registered, but I doubt it would be feasible to trace it from this side of the pond. There are Thai shooters' organizations, some of which have web pages -perhaps you could obtain assistance from one of them. If your grandfather served in Vietnam, it is likely he acquired the arm at that time, and the hilltribes do not take much notice of national borders, so the fact that the arm was registered in Thailand does not prove that it was acquired there.

mhb - MIke

Back